IGNORED

Chandos

While it's been mentioned here before, Chandos offers its catalog for download in 44.1kHz AIFF, WAV, and FLAC as well as in mp3 and wma options. On their website, go here to simply start with the lossless offerings http://www.theclassicalshop.net/searchresWMA.asp?Label=1&LabelSearch=Browse

I mention this for two reasons. First, Chandos takes recording and the resultant sound very seriously. It's no surprise that they often win awards for sound quality as well as the performances. The majority of their work sounds very good. You'll be able to tell, in most cases, just from the preview samples how gorgeous the sound is -- and it is very very good.

And along this same line, the notes usually provide information on the recording venue, the dates, the name of the producers, and the sound engineers. And the assistant sound engineers. :-)

Second, I just wanted to report that I used the site to download a recording last night. I know I appreciate hearing from others about whether they had problems or not, when approaching a new (to me) internet vendor.

In this case, everything went smoothly. Of course every web store has its own process, and while I thought they might have streamlined this somewhat, I have to say that every step was quite clear. Even when I had to refresh pages during the purchasing steps (I use noscript with Firefox) the transaction went through without a hitch. Also I've had occasion to email their customer support and have gotten prompt helpful responses. I'm in the US, and so I'll note that all prices are in GBP -- you'll have to multiply by 1.66 to get USD.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Thanks, Bruce!

In fact I was considering exactly that Vaughan Williams: Sea Symphony issue. I'll definitely pick that up in the hi res version from HDtracks.

So far it looks like there are only 4 titles available there in high resolution versions. However, I'll be hoping for more. :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

• 1 month later...

There are now 15 titles from Chandos in high resolution that are available for download!

Will purchase Sir Michael Tippet - Rose Lake and Ian Lawson - Celtic Fanfares. Some of the others sound very promising as well. Good to see HD Tracks expanding its hi res store.

James[br]

• 1 month later...

Hello there Bruce,

Although it pains me quite a bit that I can´t download from HD Tracks from Sweden.

I can certainly agree with you regarding Chandos.

Some very nice pickings to be made from them indeed!

I have some 10 SACDs from them and all but one are excellent.

Chandos not only record in DSD ,they also produce some of the most natural sounding realistic classical SACDs on the market IMO.

I guess you extracted the DSD files from actual SACDs for these transfers as from other labels?

Having a Playback Design SACD player at hand how much would you say the conversion

process alters the original?

While I am at it I also saw that some BIS titles are back up at HDtracks.

Some are known DSD recordings but some others are not I think.

Did you actually confirm that they are not 44.1khz sampled this time?

all the best Chrille