IGNORED

pc or mac?

Hello

I need some help

I never had an APPLE computer or laptop but recently I heard some rumors from friends that for computer playback apple is the way to go

Now my configuration is an ACER laptop connected via firewire to the WEISS MINERVA using FOOBAR and I’m very pleased

Will it be difficult for me the passage from windows to apple software?

Will be noticeable changes in terms of audio quality playback through apple?

Otherwise I’m not to young and I don’t have much time to start educating myself on APPLE

Thank you in advance

Both MacOS and Windows have their pros and cons. If you have a well setup Windows laptop running FooBar with the Weiss Minerva, you are unlikely to improve sound quality with a MacBook. I'd concentrate on listening to music and not worry about trying to relearn a new operating system, etc. which may or may not give you an insignificant improvement. I did swap from using Windows to using MacOS and would say (using iTunes with both) there was little, if any, improvement in sound quality - I made sure that XP was passing the audio unchanged (as far as possible) though KMixer.

With Windows XP it's important that you bypass/neutralize KMixer - either using ASIO or Kernel Streaming or by keeping a close eye on sample rate selection. With Vista the sample rate conversion is better than in XP but still best avoided using WASAPI.

Things I like about Apple and MacOS: easy setup for bit perfect output and if I do inadvertently engage SRC (sample rate conversion) it doesn't destroy sound quality. I also like the general user interface. I would like MacOS and iTunes to have an "exclusive use" mode like Vista with WASAPI. The user interface is quite different from Windows and some things work in different ways.

As I say, I did change from Windows to MacOS, but the change wasn't purely motivated by audio use.

Eloise

P.S. this is just my opinion ... others opinions will vary.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"If you have a well setup Windows laptop running FooBar..."

I'd not be so quick to say don't do it, but then again, I've been using Macs exclusively for personal computer use since I moved off the mainframe in 1980-something. :)

I think the answer lies within Eloise's 'If' statement above. If you do already have your Foobar setup properly to bypass Kmixer, etc. and/or you are comfortable in dealing with things like Wasapi, then by all means stay with Windows, as you will not likely improve your audio quality in a switch to Mac OS using iTunes (Amarra may be an exception).

But, if you're not inclined to futz with proper Windows audio configuration, or if you'd rather use iTunes as your music mgmt system, then you might want to switch.

PS, don't let anyone talk you out of your Firewire interface. People seem to be overly excited by USB these days, so inevitably, you'll likely hear advice form friends that you must get a USB DAC. I recommend that you ignore that, with the possible exception of Async USB.

Some of the leading audiophile DAC manufacturers seem to be focusing on ASYNC USB. While I am sure they can provide technical reasons for this selection (e.g., native USB drivers versus the need to write Firewire drivers), I think the overriding reason is that high quality pro audio ADCs/DACs with Firewire already exist at price points that would make it a bit difficult for a low volume audiophile firm to compete. :)

You're right ... I should have emphasized the IF a bit more.

I certainly can't disagree with your comments.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Well thank you for your thoughts so far

Indeed my laptop is set only for computer playback ( I have a desktop pc for all other uses email burning etc )

That includes only foobar working with asio on vista with sp2 and of course the latest drivers for the Weiss Minerva

Let me note that I have been using the computer for playback long time ( I had the benchmark dac 1 usb ) and I definitely know many tips and tricks about xp vista kmixer and all

But in MAC OS I’m total disrelated that’s why I aked

p.s elloise a have a friend that have the same amplifier like yours ( a1008 ) excellent choice ( I have the kw250s )

Certainly in your case I don't think you'll gain anything from swapping to a Mac as it sounds like you hav your laptop well set up. Only exception maybe if you were able to consider using Amarra.

Yeah I love then power of the A1008 - I had an A308 integrated and A3.24 DAC before and regretted selling them and when the A1008 came out knew I had to demo it and found it great for me. If you like powerful amps I certainly think MF can compete with brands like Krell and Bryston - especially at the cost.

Eloise

---

no problem,

As it turns out you were right all along, he did have a well thought out Windows setup. :)

PS, I'm a fan of Musical Fidelity. My first integrated amp was an A1 - 25 years ago - so, not one of the recent re-badged A1s, but the original.

Want (to cook some) fries with your music? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update my friends

I went and bought a macbook ( last one brand new with firewire )

Thank god is the internet and messing with the mac os x was easy so far

I read plenty of things, downloaded play and plugged weiss Minerva in the firewire

All I can say is that I’m stupid for messing with windows based computers and applications

I also regret that I didn’t have the chance to listen via mac to my beloved BENCHMARK DAC 1 USB wich I traded 3 months ago for a WEISS MINERVA

And this because I am now 100 % sure that for all the bad things responsible was and still is windows ( xp & vista& 7 )

And boy did I work it out ( from kimber usb cables to hundreds of hours listening to the changes between software players and asio ks ds etc

I now spent easy 2-3 hours listening MUSIC

Doesn’t matter what sort of music , everything is amazing via macbook and play

I know that I had risked buying another laptop for 1000 euros but that happened before with cables

My setup is now more musical , more detail + more relaxed ( much more )

Happy to answer anything else concerning this move that I made ,

GO MAC NOW!!!!!!!