IGNORED

iTunes with Windows

I've been reorganizing my music from itunes to Media Monkey based on recommendations that Media Monkey works better on PCs. But in the process, I found that iTunes fits my organizational needs better, and I'd prefer to stick with iTunes (and Apple Lossless.) My question is: How much sound quality, if any, is compromised running iTunes/Apple Lossless through a Vista PC?

(As way of background, I'm running a laptop to a DAC via USB cable.)

Really there's no easy answer as it depends who you talk to.

There are reports saying that iTunes can be set up on Vista to avoid all sample rate conversion and so be "bit perfect". However many other people argue that there is still a loss of quality vs Media Monkey running ASIO - because you need to avoid the Vista audio stack entirely.

Some high end manufacturers recomend using iTunes, while other people say don't touch t with a barge pole. An interesting observation that I see is that traditional "HiFi" companies bringing out computer products (USB interfaces and DACs) seam happy with iTunes where companies with more experience in the "computer audio" market often favour other products. I'm very much generalisig but make of that what you will.

Really you need to set both up and then listen and make your own decision. At least in this case it will costyou no more than time.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.