IGNORED

New Member and Remote C.A.P.S. control question

Hi to all! I have been reading these forums non stop for the last two months as I decided to try to improve my audio gear. I had built up a large collection of MP3s in lower format (192) but I am in the process of re-ripping everything to FLAC.

I currently have a set of Fischer FA-003ti as I wanted a good all around set of over ear phones with a closed design and didnt leak sound. I dont have a lot to compare them to but they sound pretty great. I have an Audioengine D1 on its way so I am excited to try it out. I did a lot of research on headphones and DACs etc and i came to the conclusion that I would start with quality "beginner" gear and go from there.

Well my next step is I want to build a C.A.P.S.v3 Topanga server. I will pair it with my Audioengine D1 and use headphones for now until i pick up some powered speakers. I am pretty excited about setting it all up etc.

My idea is that i would control it remotely (no screen) with my Google Nexus 10 for now (JRiver), and at some point in the future get a used Samsung/Android phone as a dedicated remote controller.

Ok here is where the stupid question comes it. The MOBO, Intel DN2800 doesnt have any wireless ethernet capabilities correct? The description says - Onboard LAN Intel 82574L 10/100/1000. But this is only wired ethernet? How can you control it remotely without a wireless connection? I am missing something, sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks to all computeraudiophile members for this great forum!

[TABLE=class: data-table]

[TR=class: odd]

[TH=class: label][/TH]

[TD=class: data last][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

You would connect the CAPS to your router via wired Ethernet, then you Android device connects to the router via wireless and the router is responsible for the signal being transmitted from the wireless Android to wired CAPS.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you! That was what i thought.

The only problem is that if you use the wired Ethernet to connect to CAPS then you utilize the only ethernet port that you would be able to use NAS... also my wireless router is on the other side of hte room I dont really want to run a cable all the way over there.

I guess the best would also be to hook up the CAPS to a dedicated wireless router. As I am not sure where I will locate my NAS, it would be best if the wireless router can accept HQ streams as well. Any recommendations?

Ok, I read this article

Computer Audiophile - Extending An Audio Network Using 802.11ac Wireless

and I re-read this one (even though I read it before but its still a bit difficult to understand)

Computer Audiophile - The Complete Guide To HiFi UPnP / DLNA Network Audio

I guess my plan is now the following;

- Regular wireless modem on one side of the room which connects to my laptop, my nexus etc. A bit difficult to run an enthernet cable from there to my CAPS across the room.

- CAPS+DAC on the other side of the room.

- CAPS+DAC hooked up by ethernet cable to an 802.11ac wireless router.

- Wireless router allows my CAPS to connect to my android device for control, and can allow remote access (teamviewer or something) to my CAPS from my laptop or my gaming computer.

- CAPS will be connected to a 1TB external drive by USB or firewire. As I will be using it as a headphone set up for now I am not worried about drive noise.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

One last question, if I want to move to a NAS based storage in the future, and I want to put my NAS far from my CAPS (like on the other side of hte room next to my wireless modem. Could I hook my NAS up direct to the modem with an ethernet cable and then stream music to my 802.11ac+CAPS?

Sorry I am not so good with networking. Thank you.

You don't have to necessarily buy an 802.11ac wireless router. If you aren't entirely comfortable with setting up and configuring another wireless device, one option is a powerline networking adapter. You just need two power outlets, one near your existing wireless modem, and one near your CAPS + DAC for each of the adapters. Connect one Ethernet cord from the CAPS to the powerline networking adapter. Connect another Ethernet cord from the wireless modem on the other side of the room to the other powerline networking adapter, and that is pretty much it. That could be a much easier solution in your case and could actually be a little more stable in terms of connection reliability, but there are several other factors at play there.

If you did want to go the wireless route in terms of creating a wireless bridge from one side of the room to the other, an 802.11ac wireless router is likely overkill in your situation. Unless your current wireless modem is 802.11ac, you won't gain much (if any) benefit from paying extra to have something with the AC designation. I personally have had no problems at all streaming 24bit/192kHz files using an 802.11n solution. So if you are shopping for a wireless solution, something as simple as a wireless bridge would be sufficient. You would connect the CAPS via wired Ethernet cord to this, and configure the bridge to connect to your existing wireless network.

So there are two options for you. I think the easiest in terms of setup time and hassle would likely be the powerline networking option, but it could be more pricey than the wireless solution.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Thanks Thrand. I am not exactly networking illiterate, its jsut been a while since I messed with anything other than wireless ethernet.

Additionally, I dont trust the electricity in my place (its really old) so even though it probably doesnt make a difference I was more interested in the wireless bridge option. One thing I was not sure. Do you need 2 bridges, one connected to CAPS and one to the wireless modem?

If not, I dont really undersatnd the difference between a wireless bridge and a wireless router?

Finally, if I went with the bridge option, any issues connecting an ethernet connected NAS to either side of the bridge (direct to bridge near CAPS or direct to bridge or wireless modem depending on teh answer to the question above).

Thanks again, love it when I join a new forum and people are willing to help noobs.

I've installed powerline networking in a home built in the late 1800s here in Ohio and it seems to work just fine :)

No, you only need one wireless bridge. In the setup for most bridges, you do a scan for wireless networks and choose the one that is currently broadcast by your wireless modem. The bridge then takes the wired Ethernet from the CAPS and converts it to wireless to communicate with your wireless modem.

Essentially the difference between most wireless bridges and wireless routers comes down to features and functions. Wireless routers will create and broadcast wireless networks and act as a DHCP server, providing IP addresses to wireless clients. Routers will also perform NAT and other functions required when communicating with the "outside world" (the Internet). Bridges are often stripped of these features- they don't create or broadcast a wireless network for clients to connect to, don't grant IP addresses, any of that. In a way, they appear to your wireless modem to be "just another wireless client"...it asks for an IP address and opens a communication pathway, and that's about it. That's why bridges are often cheaper, because they aren't performing any "server" functions, they primarily serve as a client.

No problem whatsoever connecting the NAS to your bridge. With the bridge serving as a proxy of sorts, any devices connected to it will ask the DHCP server (which is probably done by your current wireless modem) for an IP address, and your wireless modem will chat with any devices through the bridge and provide them with whatever they need. If you find yourself running out of ports on the bridge or on your wireless modem (some bridges only have 1 or 2 Ethernet ports), just find a cheap wired Ethernet switch (20 bucks?), and that can serve as a "port expander" of sorts.

You would be fine with just one bridge device, connected to your CAPS via Ethernet. You would then configure the bridge device to "point to" or connect to your wireless modem (by selecting in the setup menu your wireless network name), and the connection would be established that way. No need to buy additional equipment to connect to your wireless modem.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Thank you very much for your detailed answer. If I understood correctly a wireless bridge can be thought of as a sort of external wireless ethernet card in a way.

The last point not really for now but in the future. If your NAS is hooked up directly to your wireless modem, whcih feeds to a Wireless bridge+CAPS, depending on the other sources drawing from the wireless modem (torrents, general use of internet) you could run into music streaming issues (just a thought, not sure if that is correct).

In such a case then it woudl be better to have your NAS hooked up to a wireless Router rather than directly to your wireless modem correct?

Thank you again, I really love this website and I really appreciate the support.

As with all things networking, the answer is...it depends :)

Depending on the model of your wireless modem, it likely has 4 Ethernet ports with maximum throughput of 100Mbps per port. The bandwidth demand of 24 bit, 192kHz, 2 channel audio is approximately 9 Mbps. Even for 24 bit, 384 kHz, 2 channel audio (DXD), that number is still a reasonable 18 Mbps. In a perfect world, where all your networking gear is up to snuff and operating at peak speed, theoretically, yes you could have issues, but only if your other traffic is demanding near or greater than that 100Mbps number. Is your broadband Internet for 50Mbps or greater speed? If it is, then again, POTENTIALLY there could be issues, but I really doubt it. In most cases, the throughput of your wireless modem's Ethernet port will be greater than what you throw at it.

For your last scenario, it might make more sense to have the NAS hooked up to a wireless router. This scenario might provide some "insulation" of the internal music streaming traffic from traffic that has to go out through the wireless modem. But that's a topic to broach in the future should you come to it :) I would personally hook the NAS and CAPS up to the wireless bridge, then use the wireless modem for connecting your tablet and computer for "remote control" purposes to the NAS and CAPS. Here's why...

Your most bandwidth-intensive internal traffic would be isolated (if I understand your question/setup correctly) to flowing through the ports on the wireless bridge, and would NOT have to mix with the traffic flowing through the wireless modem. The primary traffic going through the wireless modem TO the bridge TO the NAS/CAPS would be your "remote control" tasks from your tablet or teamviewer, and that would place much less stress on your wireless modem. Again, placing the NAS and CAPS on a similar "switching plane" (connected to the same device) helps isolate traffic that only needs to flow internally from traffic that needs to flow externally to the Internet.

With your last scenario though, if you did want to minimize the risk of any interference, then I would set it up as one Ethernet cord from your modem to your wireless router. Set up the wireless router to take over wireless duties from your modem (basically, turn off anything wireless related on the modem). Connect the NAS to the router. Have the CAPS connected to the wireless bridge across the room. Have the wireless bridge connected wirelessly to your wireless router. This setup would again help separate/isolate network traffic related to music streaming from traffic that requires interfacing with the Internet. Does that help?

Lol does it help. Ya it helps a LOT. Thank you so much. I think all my questions have been answered. Ill order the CAPSv3 Topanga parts over the next month or 2 and pick up a wireless bridge as well. I should be set for a while and I can start shopping for my speakers in about 6 months. But i have a lot of music to listen to with my new setup, something that is sometimes forgotten in these technical discussions!

Thank you again for your help!