IGNORED

Sony HAP-Z1ES has arrived

Merko

Remove the top cover and install a SSD, I recommend a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO. (2TB even bigger)

Once the SSD is installed, perform a factory restore from the menu, it will format the SSD in less then 3 minutes.

have been playing with this device for the past couple of months and saw this and was wondering if you ever changed out the HD for an SSD

Linux (which I am assuming the HAP uses) does not activate TRIM by default. In time this device, (if not trim enabled) will become slower and slower...

I did add a 2TB internal and experimented with a 4TB. Although one person said he was successful in adding a 4TB internally, I could not get it to work

One of the things that was really bugging me was when adding large number of songs via network, the unit would always turn off (especially when trying to drag and drop). I found a workaround, just use the radio feature and the unit will not only play music, but still allow songs to added in the background AND will not turn off..

• 3 weeks later...

• Adds support for the Media Server function
  • Adds support for the USB digital output function(USB hub support for connecting each of one HDD drive, one CD drive, and one USB DAC)

nice of them to update

would be nice to know what these 2 buy you

also, wonder if they added support for larger than 2TB internal drive?

TRIM support for SSDs ?

Gadame,

I agree that the wording is confusing. The definition of "each" is "everything in a group of two or more". My understanding therefore is that you can connect a USB Hub, and then connect a CD Drive, a HDD and a DAC all at the same time. I have not tried this so cannot confirm that this is correct. Any other views?

Regards

Mike

i currently have both a 4TB external and cd for importing on a small 4 port usb2 hub, so yes, i would think you can now add a usb out to a dac

Is the hub you are using powered? Seem to recall there was an issue on that in an earlier HAP manual. Note that OPPO just announced a new DAC which might be a good fit.

I have a 2TB external which has filled up -- if you had to transfer how did you do it your 4TB -- drag and drop --

can confirm a USB DAC also works in conjunction with external HD, external Cdrom

i was able to use headphones with my dac, however dsd playback did not work as it was not supported by the DAC i was using..i just picked up a micca origen+ (will have it tomorrow) and will report back

audio output to receiver is stopped when using the headphones

the hub i use is a usb powered mini (usb2.0, 4port) that they were giving away at a computer show i went to a million years ago

as far as the 4tb goes, right now still have 200GB on the internal, so haven't used the external yet

i originally bought the 15mm 4tb 2.5" to put internally (it fits), but it would only format to 1.8tb

if i formatted it on a pc and tried it internally, it would become corrupt

for big copying, supposedly you can remove drive, install exfs on your pc and plug it in and drag and drop

when you put it back in the hap, you have to do a rescan

although i did play with this when i first got my hap and was able to read/write the drives, so far i have not been pressed for time to hurry things up, so when i need to go external, i'll just upload to it normally

what i would really like to do is add a 2tb evo ssd, but without knowing if there's TRIM support, won't invest the time

Is just possible to connect a USB HUB to connect a HDDdrive and CD drive at the same Ext USB port, but not possible to connect at the same time on the HUB USB DAC? or Just connect one device on the Ext USB port? Just one HDD drive or one CD drive, or one DAC? Does anyone can clarify my doubt? Hope to explained well! regards.

u can hook one a time or all 3 concurrently if you have a hub

And it would be great if the HAP-1 o S1, dont do anything to the digital audio data out to the Ext USB, like apply some algorithm or upsampling,in order to make it worthwhile to connect an external Ladder DAC with No Oversampling. The better would be direct data from the HDD to the internal BUS and then to the Ext USB.

i dunno, will have a DSD capable DAC here tomorrow and will report back, the cheapo Pyle headphone DAC i used to test sounded great, but with 48Khz limit and no DSD, not optimal

Is native DSD, not DOP, possible?

not with the micca origen+, in fact .dsf didn't even play right, you could hear the audio, but mostly static

with DOP off, it would not play DSD at all

This DAC uses a micro USB port and I found it would not work with the hub, only by itself

does anyone know which hubs are supported? Which DACs work with DSD out? That PS Audio Jr. is out of my league

hello, I got the new firmware.

The addition of USB DAC is a great news, and must have been a difficult choice for Sony. Better have added COAX and SPDIF output from the beginning.

though pretty tricky to have had it all along

-no simultaneous output through usb and speaker output (on my HAP-S1), did not try the analog rca output though

this is the way it is on the my z1es also

would wish also very little more functions on the remote

they hope most use the app and not notice how spartan that remote is

• 1 month later...
If there is a new FW, as soon as the HAP boots up a "FW Update" message appears (as long as you are linked to internet via Ethernet or wireless). That is what happen for me anyway.

yep, have done 2 of them already

forget using the 4tb internally, won't work, it'll only format up to 2TB

i also tried formatting the drive externally (which works) and installing it internally, but as soon as you start using it...it will become corrupt

others have said they have used linux tools on their pc and copy (which is way faster), then you just rescan after install...this did not work for me

Thank you. I'm lo-tech and have got a lot to learn. My HAP-Z1ES arrives next Thursday. I'm guessing that FW update is my first move.

yeah it's easy

pick up a 2TB right away

you remove case screws

touch metal to make sure you get rid of any ground static before you touch any circuitry

there's 2 ribbon cables that need to be carefully removed and you can remove the cage

the old drive comes out really easy, reverse and reset to factory settings...enjoy your doubled space

i have had my hap for some months now and have sent 1000s of 1000s of songs, DSFs, 192khz, mp3s etc, 50000+ and still have many many GB of room left

it's a fantastic sounding player, especially shitty mp3s, but the OS is DOG slow

have a feeling the more you put on, the slower it'll get too

but overall, the sound is well worth it

now to save for the new walkman

I guess I will have to send the 4TB back to Amazon and order a 2TB. Glad I did not open yet - still sealed.

It is odd though that the HAP will format a 6TB external HD but not the internal beyond 2TB.

I read about Linux Tools work-around somewhere but it is beyond my capabilities as I am completely unfamiliar with Linux except for having heard of it.

Thank you for helping me. You have been very kind.

well they also prohibit a larger than 1TB drive in a PS3, so who knows with Sony

I did the same thing, although I went on ebay and bought a $9 external empty case (made sure it would fit the 15MM drive) and added that as external

the linux work around did not work for me

when i copied files to the drive (on a pc) and rescanned, the HAP did not find them

some guy also said he put a 4tb internal using that same method and yes, it did show the correct size (3.8TB)...but once i started to fill the drive after a few hundred mb, the songs wouldn't play ...been using the 2tb ever since and it's been rock solid

if i knew that TRIM was supported I would go for a 2tb SSD, those that put ssds in report it is faster, but it will be until you sstart to use it...the nature of an SSD does not free up deleted blocks until "housekeeping" is done (TRIM), for example if you put an SSD in a vista machine or a NON OEM SSD in a mac...the computer will eventually slow down worse than a HD...

as far as linux in a pc, you just need the drive

i used the one from here

http://www.paragon-drivers.com/extfs-windows/

it's good for android devices too

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings, I need some help and wondering if anyone has experienced this. After 2 years of pretty much daily use if no issues, today I get nothing.

seems like a pretty good warranty 5 years (although you box it up and either ship or drop off)

shit happens and those brands that need fixing more than the norm (netgear, asus etc) you stay away from

sony isn't one of them

would be curious to see how you make out

...you see how long it takes for the HAP to register the files after transfer. It took a week to register 5TB.

how did you transfer?

usually file adjustments via a windows share are re-catalogued as they are copied

i have retagged some stuff that didn't have a cover pic from the pc via the lan and it takes a long time for even 1 album..but when it's done..the hap is ready

...you see how long it takes for the HAP to register the files after transfer. It took a week to register 5TB.

i think it's gonna take a week...down to 1mb/s and a third copied and it randomly every few hours throws up a message that the drive isn't available and do you want to retry, i click yes and it does, but weird

also, a trick to keep the hap on all the time and not go to sleep...just tune to a radio station and play a nel and it'll not to seep

Well done. But why not just add a big external drive?

planning is very important with this unit as once the data is on the drive..it takes forever to modify or move it

just try to fix a cover, it's a nightmare in slo mo

for those with an extensive collection it's a no brainer

i have already had the drive in and out many times as using the interface to get anything done is like watching paint dry

Once the OPPO 205 is released April-May 2017 (the 203 available now) this Sony paper weight will be on AudioGon. I wish I had never sold the 105.

but like apples and oranges

still digging dsee and what it does to mp3s, it's worth putting up with the other crap

just hope someone over at sony is using this device and realizing how crippling slow it is to do fundamental things...like making a backup

it shouldn't take "weeks"

It is only the "apples & oranges" section to which I take exception.

by that i meant, the sony side is totally proprietary, if you like the sound of it (dsee), it's the only game in town

I read a review somewhere that one might think of the Sony HAP-Z1es as an iPod on steroids. That seems fairly accurate to me.

now I take exception (and as a big fan of ipods), did you own an ipod?

ipod=ugly apple DRM and constraints, in order NOT to use that piece of shit called "itunes", one needs third party products and hoops to go through to get it to work

and don't forget how crappy it sounds and the extra stuff you have to buy to bypass apple's DAC

this is about as close to an ipod as an apple is to an orange :)