IGNORED

New daily deal at eclassical!

Musicophile, the link you provided is to eClassical's Christmas special which I thought kicked off on December 1 with Suzuki's Bach Cantatas volume 33 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet with Jörg Widmann. Are you sure the Martin Frost was available on that page? Anyway, the Frost version of the Concerto is available for the rest of the year, combined with the Clarinet Quintet as part of the 40th Anniversary deal, for $8.75 (24 bit). In line with eClassical's pro rata charging policy, the Concerto can be had alone for $3.78.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Well I'm confused. The Christmas specials are supposed to start on December 1st. It's still December 1st in Australia as I write this, so there must be a lot of December 1st left in the rest of the world. As I write, the Cantata volume on sale is #33. Did I miss #34 yesterday (November 30) and was that the day the Martin Frost appeared? Also, if there was an offer yesterday, shouldn't they be in the 25% discount boxes today.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
Today eClassical discounts the RIAS Kammerchor's Weihnacht album in high res. I am tempted...

Do it. This is a truly excellent album of a capella performances of not so well known (apart from Stille Nacht) Christmas music.

- Einstein

• 1 month later...
any thoughts on today's special? Rachmaninov's Vespers?

Well there's no question it is very fine music. As to this particular recording, at $9.04 for 24/96, I am prepared to trust Robert von Bahr's comments. He is quite happy to state when one of eClassical's specials is mediocre, in his opinion. He gives this one a strong recommendation.

- Einstein

Just had a listen to some of the snippets. Even streaming in MP3, it sounds terrific. I'll spring for it. You can listen to the whole performance if you click every 30 seconds and BIS high-res recordings are pretty well guaranteed to be top sound quality.

- Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you so much for the recommendation! Downloaded this evening- absolutely stellar recording quality, now to sit back and enjoy the performance and learn, thanks Musicophile!

If you have time today, be sure to pick this great daily deal!! Amazing quality from a recording which apparently was done originally in DSD- overall DR for the album is 15!

+1 You won't spend 6 bucks better anywhere.

- Einstein

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
DAILY DEAL

50% Discount on eClassical

Vol 1 of 3 of the Danzi Complete Wind Quintets and Piano Quintets with no less than the Berlin Philharmonic Wind quintet and Love Derwinger, piano. With artists like that, even Danzi's music becomes interesting. RvB

You've gotta love Robert Von Bahr. He must be the world's worst (ie most honest) salesman.

- Einstein

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I should point out that for those who have access to Qobuz, the incomparable Neumann/Supraphon performances of Dvorak's 7th and 8th symphonies is available for 9.99 € (~$11) for the two, though admittedly in 16/44.1.

Dvorák: Symphonies Nos. 7 & 8 | Antonin Dvorak par Vaclav Neumann – Télécharger et écouter l'album

- Einstein

If you buy the 1991 Neumann/Czech Phil recording recommended by Snowmonkey, be sure you don't accidentally get his 1982 version, which I have and find almost as dull as Flor.

Good point Bob - thanks. My version is from the CD with Symphonies 7-9. I assumed the Qobuz version was the same one, but I could be wrong.

- Einstein

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4439532-origpic-93bd37.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_249_0.jpg

Rimsky-Korsakov is considered a bit of a lightweight by classical music aficionados, but that doesn't mean he couldn't bang out some damn fine tunes. For those with a passing interest in classical music and a love for how good well-recorded orchestral music can sound on a great system, this one is worth a look. It's actually one of a four-disc set, all with outstanding sound quality and beautifully performed. $US8.57, or you can buy the whole set for $22.17

- Einstein

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...