IGNORED

Hard Drives Make a Difference in Sound

yes do so, take what ever you hav,

my test was whit a ASUS 6gb sata cable

you will be surprised

I must try splitting my screened RCA leads into 2 separate leads to see if the channel separation improves.

Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself, please carry on.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 3 weeks later...
No SATA cables are made for AUDIO!

This why there is so many un-shielded and poor quality copper Cables DATA is always check by checksum whit delay

I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but nobody is claiming that there will be any difference due to errors. We are simply saying that SATA3 6GBs cables with their 2 separate screened leads are more immune to RF/EMI pickup from the Motherboard etc. and this rubbish is then less likely to get into groundplanes etc. and affect external devices.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

• 2 weeks later...
If you cache the music from the hard drive on to your systems Ram before it's played would a hard drive and cable matter? By the time it is ready to be played it's already left the hard drive and is sitting in the system memory. From there it goes to a SoTM via USB where the USB power is filtered then signal is reclocked and converted to coax. I could see a difference if the hard drives were feeding the signal directly as the built in hard drive cache sizes and controllers vary.

Many people have reported that files saved on different storage mediums sound different , despite being played from System Memory. Check out the Phasure Forum for example, or the threads in C.A. with the rather long names that were started by Alex Crespi. (Superdad)

Many people also report that they sound exactly the same so the only real test is whether they sound different to YOU.

In your case I don't doubt they sound the same to you.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/diana-krall-all-you-no-hi-res-download-18750/index2.html#post291082

See replies 30,32 and 36.

"Hoover" is a generic term for vacuum cleaner,

Hoover Dam sucks up water ?

• 3 weeks later...
After getting my new black MAC PRO with 1TB PCIE Flash Storage. I had to lower the volume on my DAC because how much louder it was compared to my other mac pro with a regular SSD.

For that to happen you must have different settings in both computers. Perceived differences would be more along the lines of those described by Alex C in various threads, such as transparency, soundstage etc. Some female voices may appear to sound a smidgin louder, but that may come down to less masking of the low level harmonics of their voices by system noise etc. getting into the DAC via USB cables etc.

Nope same default settings.

How many dB did you lower the volume in your DAC ?

If you have the same binary data going into the DAC, then it isn't possible to have anything more than subtle differences as described by Alex C. elsewhere. With improvements in Jitter etc. it is more common to increase the volume, as the sound is less fatiguing. Conversely, you may be able to listen at slightly reduced levels and still hear things you may not have noticed previously.

2 Decibels.

BTW, A higher level of Jitter can make a music file appear to sound a little louder, with a louder sounding but less pinpoint central image and a less wide soundstage.. 2dB is a very minor change and is likely to be due to those other factors mentioned.

The file with the lower level of Jitter should have an improved sound stage with suitable recordings, and you should also be able to listen to it at a higher level without fatigue than the same music file with higher Jitter.

It could also be that the new machine actually has higher jitter, which is why I suggested trying both machines at both higher and lower listening levels. The lower jitter machine is also likely to sound a little more dynamic with improved low end .

I am far from being the only one reporting things like this. Barrows has also written some informative posts about the effects of "Jitter."

That's unlikely to be the case, but we all are aware of your antipathy towards anything Apple.

As I am also well aware of all the BS from you about the claimed superiority of a standard Mac Mini for audio over other computers.

Alex C has already demonstrated that they are capable of being markedly improved for audio.

I wasn't even taking into account the type of computer in use here, although you chose to read it that way.

'Bye !

4est

Please check your emails.

Regards

Alex

All of which neither answers the questions nor denies anything.

As you have been nothing but demanding and sarcastic recently, even in subjective threads with answers not directed to you, I will not be replying to you. Take it whichever way you like.

In case others have misread what I said in my reply 262, I have accentuated a key word.

A higher level of Jitter can make a music file appear to sound a little louder

The diagnosis requires a bit more thought, rather than plucking out concepts from hearsay that aggravate people.

You appear to be easily aggravated these days. I don't snipe each time you get on your hobbyhorse and recommend extensive mains supply modifications.

Wow. You've gotten so outta control now that even your subjective bretheren are going to ground.

I have been taking lessons from the master. You !