IGNORED

Who's used the Audiophile Optimizer for Windows 2012 Server or Windows 8?

Just wondering, what has been the experience of others using Windows Server 2012 Optimizer. In early September I loaned my Zuma to one of the world's most famous amp designers (the current Stereophile has a super positive review of one of his amps) and he loved it so much with Windows 2012, Jplay/JRiver and the Audiophile Optimizer that he won't give it back (literally!). And he's stopped all other playback -- CD's, other servers (and he has a lot of them), etc.

He did offer to buy it but after hearing how much he liked it, I refused and told him to build his own.

I'm curious if others have had the same experience. I'm getting the Zuma back November 9 and am anxious to hear it for myself.

One more note: I'd had the Zuma running with Window 8 and JRiver and it couldn't touch the quality of what I got playing a CD through my Wright tube-modded Oppo 95 so I stopped using it.

The amp designer has the newer tube-modded Oppo 105 and he says the Zuma with Server 2012/JRiver-JPlay and the Optimizer is much better than what he finds on playing a CD with even his Oppo.

MG555

Man, if only it wasnt so damn expensive!

I had great hesitation, but decided there was nothing to lose if I could try it for free for 6 months. So did a bunch of buds. We were all sold. Huge improvement over Windows 8. And one bud is running Server 2012 and Phil's optimizer on a 2009 Mac Mini without any issues!

If you know a software developer (I don't unfortunately), there's a good chance they can get you a copy of 2012 for free.

The only good thing about paying $670 for Server 2012 is that the money covers 2 PC's... So either split it with a friend, or run double PC Jplay.

MG555

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Folks

I am currently working on the beta of version 1.22 of the AudiophileOptimizer. There will be quiet a few changes and news:

- Introduction of eXpress and Export mode

The eXpress mode will set most settings for you and is the desired route for beginners who don't want to decide and think about to many questions and just want to enjoy and listen good music. Expert mode offers all the known and some new Options.

- More network related optimizations

- More filesystem related optimizations

- More registry optimizations

- More CPU related optimizations

- One new Digitial-Filter mode

- Possibility to enable/disable HPET

- Boot-Manager Text changed to "AudiophileEdition 1.2x"

- Several minor changes

- Update of the PDF Guide

- ServiceEnabler 1.41

The beta of 1.22 will be sent out to the usual suspects within the next days.

Take care,

Phil

Looks great, Phil. Keep up the tremendous work.

MG555

I hope this isn't too off topic. I am on the verge of building a single PC setup with Win server 2012 plus the optimizer. I am moving from my logitech media server/squeezebox system (transporter/touch) which has served me well for many years.

Has anyone made this switch and can you comment on the change in sound? Obviously the DAC needs to be the same to really compare apples to apples.

dminches, this is really off topic... Would be so much better if you could make this a different thread.

Thanks.

Mike

MG555

• 3 months later...

Phil helped me set up an older Lenovo T60p laptop (dual core) with Windows 2012, AO, JRiver and Jplay and it really sounds fantastic. He had me play a jazz track before and after the optimization and the result was really astounding: much more detail, clarity of music, with much more of an organic feeling and the palpable sense of a live performance. I'm loaning this computer to a friend who founded and ran two of the most famous speaker companies in the world but who is not that familiar with computers and I want him to test 2012 with AO on his ultra revealing system.

Phil, what's your advice on how to test different sound signatures and filters while listening to a track? How do you do it yourself? I want to make it as easy as possible for my friend.

Thanks.

MG555

• 2 weeks later...

Since Windows 2012 is expensive, I'd like to look at a possible discounted group buy. An IT friend said that a non-profit can often get multiple licenses of various big name software programs at huge discount through techsoup.org and that this has included in his experience, Windows OS.

I'm wondering if there isn't an audio society that's non-profit in the U.S. that might be the middle-man for such a purchase.

Anybody belong to such a society that might want to get the ball rolling?

MG555

• 3 weeks later...
...have a preview what 1.25 will bring:

Version 1.25b3

==============================================

- Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- ServiceTool offers preparation mode for 2012 R2 Essentials Edition

- Possibility to disable USB Optimization via AudiohpileOptimizer

- JRiver Media Center 17 shell replacement via ServiceTool (pcaudio.kr)

- WASAPI(MMCSS) Optimization

- Several bugfixes

Current customers can now test 1.25b3, please email me to get the beta.

Best,

Phil

That's great, Phil. Since Essentials is much cheaper.

But can you tell us which of these 2 links to buying it at Amazon is correct if we have one computer? I'm confused by what is the difference between them...

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 64 Bit English AE DVD: Software

Which is $282

VS:

Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 64 Bit English DVD: Software

which is $489.

And I presume, if we have a 2 PC setup, we'll need 2 separate licenses, right?

MG555

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Mike

...copy/paste from my homepage :)

- Supported OS's:

Windows Server 2012 (Standard, Foundation & Datacenter)

Windows Server 2012 R2 (Standard, Essentials, Foundation & Datacenter)

All four editions offer core mode, even if Microsoft Site tells you it doesn't. I think the meaning is you

won't have any support from them in core mode, i don't know for sure. But i know for 100% that both

Essentials and Foundation offers core mode, and AO will make KS working in both of them.

(i would never released support for those two variants, if there where no core mode)

Best,

Phil

Remember, you can save money: see this thread: Inexpensive -- at least LESS expensive -- way to get Windows Server 2012 R.2 Essentials 64-Bit

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/inexpensive-least-less-expensive-way-get-windows-server-2012-r-2-essentials-64-bit-20088/

MG555

Windows 2012 Standard worked great, but now I'm going to install Windows 2012 Essentials on both audio and control PC (and remove 2012 Standard)>

How should I save all the drivers I'll need (eg, for audio board, NIC, etc ) and where are they located on the drive?

I just don't want to have to chase the drivers down again and don't know exactly where Windows 2012 standard stores them. I'd like to just put them all on a flash drive.

Thanks.

MG555

• 5 weeks later...

Phil, I'm going to make an Acronis image of my Audio PC so I put it into GUI mode.

Now, I want to get back to core mode and turn on Kernal Streaming.

If I'm using the beta version of Audiophile Optimizer v 1.26 (the latest), what are the steps I need to take, starting from GUI mode..

Thanks.

MG555

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Bob.

Either way you run the Optimizer application and change the signatures. In the GUI it is the icon, in core it is the exe in the AO directory. You can use total commander for ease of navigation in core mode. You could still navigate to your desktop in core and still run the icon files if you want. Total Commander - home will make navigation a breeze.

You can change signatures on the fly while playing music to fine tune your system.

It's a beautiful thing... :)

MG555

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
AO makes your glass window almost perfectly transparent, so any sq differences will be increased or magnified, not diminished. As most here know (and have watched my screencast video tutorials) I love JRiver's library management, custom views, flexibility and remote GUI (aka JRemote). Moreover, I love the sound of Jplay on the back end (I run dual pc Jplay mode, as stated earlier numerous times). A great combo.

Ted, would very much to see your screencast video tutorials. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

MG555

Where have you put the ethernet cables? At 299 EURO per cable, would get expensive going from router/switch to PC and router/switch to NAS, etc.

Also, is there any sonic disadvantage to having music stored on a NAS rather than a second internal SSD? Because the AO manual suggests having 2 SSDs (OS and music storage).

We just ran a test. Have a NAS directly connected directly to my Control PC by very expensive Audioquest CAT cable. Played a couple tracks of the same music through the NAS and also from a PPA SSD 64gb specifically for music (separate from a 32 gb PPA SSD for OS) and the results with the music on the SSD were startlingly better the same tracks on the SSD This was quite a shock but my audiophile friend and I both heard it. Also heard the same tracks on a Dan Wright tube modded Oppo (had been my Gold standard) and then using the Oppo to feed an Emm Dac2x through a SPDIF Coax cable. Still the track off the PPA SSD was much, much better.

MG555

Mike,

How are you moving your music from your NAS to your PPA SSD?

Joel

My Control PC is directly connected to my NAS via a long overly expensive Audioquest CAT cable.. The transfers are very fast since it's all a gigabit connection, etc. So I find music on the NAS and drop it onto the PPA SSD music drive. I can move about 10 16/44 AIFF albums in about 30 - 40 seconds.

MG555