IGNORED

record at 2/192 vs 384/DSD128 and down-converting

I want to record vinyl (and some tapes) to be played back at 24/192 (using a AK100 with RedWine mods). I am contemplating a Korg MR-2000s or Joplin recorder, which can record at DSD128 and 32/384 respectively.

Would recording at 24/192 "natively" sound better, or recording at 32/384 or DSD128 and then converting to 24/192 sound better?

I ask, because 1) it's time consuming to record vinyl, and 2) I know I will be listening at 24/192 for the next few years at so, but 3) its pretty certain that the 32/384 or DSD128 dacs will come down in price in the future.

So on the one hand it would be very cool to have the music recorded at "ultra" hires for the future, but on the other hand I don't want to rob myself of any current listening quality either if "native" 24/192 recordings would sound better.

This type of decision presumably applies to a lot of people on this forum making digital recordings of vinyl. Thoughts?

I have seen several reports from those using previous non DSD Korg recorders, that the resulting 24/192 is virtually indistinguishable from the original vinyl recording.

Perhaps if your main use is for vinyl conversions to digital, then the new model which is likely more expensive, could be overkill ?

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020