IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

5 minutes ago, coogee.de said:

But a BNC S/P-DIF input. You just need an adapter or a Cinch->BNC cable.

Sonic craft had some really nice bnc furutech ends for sale. I bought one to put on my kimber Spdif cable.

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2017 at 5:58 PM, cycler2 said:

Thanks, Krit.  I'll use a standard USB cable, but I might try something other than generic, like a WireWorld Ultraviolet 7.  Not too expensive and I have heard good things about it.

Rich

Hi Rich,

I use a WireWorld Starlight 7 that I bought used on Audiogon. Works great. It's built to a very high standard compared to yer average generic USB stuff. Does it make a difference? Who knows... but at least I know I have one hell of a beefy USB cable!

General Mutec Question!

So I get my weekly "new stuff on Audiogon" email today.. I start cruising the ads and what do I find? A black Mutec MC3 USB for sale at a very attractive price.

Couple of swipes and taps and boom! Pack ur stuff.. ur moving!

So.. my question is what's the best way to run them both? Anyone here enjoying the pleasure of two or more Mutecs?

Theres an article running around about a guy who tried up to 4 strung together. If I remember correctly I think 3 was the magic number.

I have one already which I love... damn fine piece of Equipment!

thanks!!

I received my second MC3+USB today and have it installed "quick and dirty" in my system. Yes, after 1 album I can tell that everything just sounds better. Another layer of haze removed, instruments and vocals are sharper and more detailed. I have a set of fully factory upgraded and modified SoundLab A1's...They are incredible on their own and will let you know if there is something funky in a recording. They are putting out wonderful sound.

In order to be able to try out this second unit, i ordered a pair of Mogami W3080 Blue aes/ebu cables.(1 meter ) I was using a single Gutwire, but i thought it would be better to run the same type until my Supra Cables are built and delivered.

I just played one of my reference albums "Tango in the night" by Fleetwood Mac the remastered 96/24 version. I'm playing that with Jriver MC22 upsampled to 192/24 from my P.C.via a WireWorld Starlight 7 USB cable.

That goes into the first MC3, then out via aes/ebu into the second MC3 and then out into my dac using the Mogami 3080's. That whole album played and i just sat here and enjoyed each and every song.

I now have "The Ultimate Collection" Michael McDonald 44/16 and "What a fool believes" is currently playing. This track has extended and track length highs. They are crisp, no sibilance or smearing.

I'm amazed at what I'm hearing. I thought my system was pretty damn good before and the additional leap of improvement by slotting another MC3 into my system is awesome.

I've spent lots of money modifying my gear and lots of my time tweaking my system. Nothing has brought this kind of manifest improvement to my system before. Just plugging a unit in...that's it. wow.....

The only thing i can think of that comes close was when i sent the electronic plates back to SoundLab for the Consummate and Hot Rod upgrades. That was many times more then a couple MC3's...

So yea, if you haven't tried doubling up..i say go for it! I'm now setting my sights on adding a third...stay tuned :)

IMG_6815.JPG

I thought the same thing... I'm using a P.C. with the standard USB output running win 10 and JRiver MC23 and all my music is on a 1TB external SSD. When I switched from a Singxer SU-1 to the MC3USB that was a huge improvement. 

I haven't changed anything since since purchasing a second MC3USB. Just the subsitution of aes/ebu cables. Yet, everything I've played has sounded better. I left everything on and warmed up for a day and I sat down for some more testing and I can tell the change. It's not as great as when I installed the first one, but it did improve it. 

The background or depth in the music seemed to increase. The space and definition around instruments.. Fred Wesley, former horn man for James Brown among others has released several Albums over the years and I played random tracks from 4 albums. 

I can tell tell the difference in how they are recorded. Same thing with Steely Dan. It's hard to say why it works and I think it must be system dependent. I have very resolving speakers and they do not sugar coat anything... what goes in, comes out. 

So for me me it seems to work well enough that I'm going to try adding up to two more..

I would add that everyone has a unique set up and the ability to hear. That is the fun/frustration of this hobby. What sounds good to you, may not sound to me and so on.

I've been into this hobby for 30 years. I started with Records and Reel to Reel plus FM Radio. I bought one of the first CD players and CD's..

This is my 4th reference system during that time. Digital sound has never quite sounded right to me. For a few years I gave up trying.

With the advent of P.C. audio over the last 10+ years, things have improved greatly. My current all digital system sounds incredible. 

It took many years and a bunch of cash..it can be done. Proper set up and optimization is critical. 

Its not really Mutecs place to suggest how you should set up your system. That article was describing one persons idea to try chaining a few together. 

In his situation, he found three to be to his liking. I, thought it was worth trying and so far two is making a positive addition.

The important thing to remember that in our hobby, there is no right or wrong way. Everyone has something different in equipment and the space it's played In etc..

Reviews and feedback from sites like this should be understood as guidance. Sharing our collective experience and ideas helps us all to achieve what's best for each of us.

I think this article would be helpful for everyone to understand the recording process and what this man has learned over the years about jitter.

http://audiophilereview.com/analog/plangent---a-better-way-to-transfer-analog-tape.html

seeing as much of my favorite music would have been recorded with similar equipment it helped me understand how to approach and my expectations of my system. 

What i I took away from the article was that there is a certain point where you can only do so much with your system in reducing/removing system originated jitter and or other influences on the sound but at the end of the day... the recording itself will be the final arbiter of how well or poorly the system sounds. 

I have found over the years as I've refined my system that I've reached a point where it is borderline too resolving and poorly recorded music sounds... well... poor.. There is no magic home based component that can fix that. I can remember my first couple systems and how everything seemed to to sound the same. I didn't know at the time that I just didn't have the kind of equipment that allows you to hear those differences.

This was pre internet when all we knew or learned came from magazines and your local dealers and friends. So you had those sources each with their own aganda. Today, we have greatly expanded our ability to gather information.

The Plangent solution seems to be a huge step in fixing things but it's expensive and time consuming plus we don't have a say in what recording can and should be cleaned up.

I have a few in mind..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Has anyone tried a Bybee Rail yet? I just picked up another MC3USB off eBay this morning.. I think I’ll send that to my mod guy to install them and see if they can lower the noise floor as well as they did in my DAC. I included the measurements from Busman Audio as he did the mods on my A/D/A

E4844DE9-77DE-425A-8C68-DC8DDBDC5C10.jpeg

3B1CA793-9029-4718-9625-6BAF0EC95946.jpeg