IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

My MC3 +USB arrived last night and I hooked it up to my Schiit Yggy on AES/EBU. I am running it w/ the stock power supply, but from a dedicated 20 amp outlet. I'm using a REGEN (powered by Uptone Audio JS-2) w/ Curious cables on the USB connection; at this point, AES cable is Blue Jean Cable.

I got to listen for about 30 minutes after hooking it up. Cold, out of the box, the biggest thing I've noticed is that the timing, or rhythm, seems much better now making the music much more involving. It also seems to have improved the blackground...this may be a result of the galvanic isolation on the USB. Mike Moffat (the designer of my DAC) says he prefers the AES/EBU input over USB and I can see why. I agree with Pearse, my system sounds more musical.

My instructions were in English (thanks Bob!) and it is playing all resolution and bit depths with no issues. So far so good!

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 1 month later...
Hi Julian,

I am quite new on this forum. I am interested in the MC-3+ USB. I have actually ordered and received one unit and find it incredibly useful and pleasant to use. I will not restate all what has been said/written about the benefits of your reclocker on the listening experience, but I certainly agree with that.

I have read that other users use Regen resp. Intona USB filters to respectively enhance the USB signal or galvanically isolate the DAC from the computer. If I am not mistaken, the Intona also performs a kind of reclocking right ?

I have also read under your name in another thread that the MC-3+ USB also performs a complete galvanic isolation.

Does the benefit of adding an Intona before the MC-3 result from the reclocking features of the Intona ?

I would like to understand your ideas about the benefits of adding Regen resp. Intona components in an installation which will, at some point, end with an AES/EBU connection between an MC-3+USB and a DAC. In terms of USB signal enhancement and galvanic isolation, wouldn't it be wiser to cascade one or two more MC-3+ USB in the same way than Fujak (http://www.head-fi.org/t/625793/audio-gd-master-7-discrete-fully-balanced-dac-pcm1704/1350#post_10282826).

How would you recommend to connect (AES/EBU, coax, aso) and to configure these additional devices ?

I admit that this question could sound naive as you are employed by Mutec, but I would like to read your take on this.

Also, in case the DAC has other inputs than AES/EBU (SPDIF or Toslink), would you favor another type of connection between your reclocker and the DAC ?

Thanks.

While I'm not Julian, I thought I'd chime in here since I'm using a MC-3+USB with a REGEN. I had the REGEN first (using it with Curious Cables) and when I got the REGEN I continued to use it with the Mutec. I am also using AES/EBU out to my Schiit Yggdrasil. Works like a charm and sounds great.

I don't have an Intona, but according to their website, its purpose is to galvanically isolate the USB input and it also has an "impedance controlled high-speed circuit design" whether or not this means it matches the impedance of the DAC it is used with, it doesn't say, but the REGEN does impedance matching right at the DAC (if used with only a DAC) -- and if you are using a true 110ohm AES/EBU cable to the DAC, you've matched the impedance -- the REGEN also generates a new USB data signal and it cuts off the DAC from the PC's 5V current by generating its own for DACs that need it.

Since the MC3+USB galvanically isolates the USB input, I would say that the Intona really isn't needed. Whether or not the REGEN addeth or taketh away, I can't say because I haven't played around with it. What I will say is that adding the MC3+USB to my setup appeared to lower the noise floor and there are no digital artifacts (glare) at all.

So to answer your configuration question, my set up is PC ->REGEN -> MC3+USB -> DAC (using AES/EBU). And regarding the DAC having "other inputs" and which to use, I think this depends more on the DAC than the MC3+USB. I'm using it with AES/EBU to the DAC because the DAC's designer says he prefers that to USB.

Now I do have a new SOtm sMS-1000SQ Windows Edition server on the way and, in addition to the audiophile USB card, I also ordered it with AES/EBU digital out, so I will play with it to see which sounds better. FWIW, the dealer, AudioPhil, recommends using the AES/EBU instead of USB out of the sMS-1000SQ.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

After posting yesterday I went on the Intona thread (haven't read through all of it yet) and it appears that it does re-clock using FPGA as well as use galvanic isolation and impedance match which I guess you already knew. Thanks for bearing with me, I guess I should have done a little more homework!

Given this, it may be the "all in one" solution for people wanting to use USB to get better sound and if I didn't already have the REGEN and MB3+USB (we need a shorter abbreviation!) that's where I would have started on my quest for better sound. Still might be interesting to give one a try, though...but I'm gonna live with my new streamer for a while first.

Speaking of the REGEN, I forgot to add in my original post that adding a linear power supply (in my case, the Uptone JS-2) did improve the impact of the REGEN.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

Does anyone know if the MC-1.2 + MC-3+ would be the same thing as just using the MC-3+ USB? I mean in terms of performance? I know they are doing the same thing, but with two boxs vs. single box of the MC-3+ USB.

I'm wondering if I should replace the MC-1.2 with the MC-3+ USB and then still keep the MC-3+ in the mix to do cascading reclocking... then I can use the MC-1.2 somewhere else.

I wish Mutec would give us loyal customers a discount to upgrade! :) *hint hint* *wink wink* ha ha!

According to the link that SwissBear posted in this post http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mutec-mc-3-a-17300/index6.html#post507163 the MC-3+ USB by itself sounds better than multiple MC-3+ units cascaded together.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Thanks! And I hope everyone had a safe and happy Christmas.

Now that I am going to add this double stack of sonic goodness, it brings up a project I have been neglecting. I would like to get a Mac mini for my computer source and I wanted to try the new music player software from Mark Levision (the man) and his current company Daniel Hertz

https://www.danielhertz.com/master-class-software

Julian, have you any experience with this software? I figure you might or know of someone since ML moved to Switzerland.

One more question that I don't remember seeing as being asked.

Since these only have 1 bidirectional USB port, in theory with 2 stacked, you could use 1 for source input and use the 2nd to output to the DAC.

I do also want to purchase a new DAC, my Tascam was never intended to be my reference. I'm looking at the new R2R linear compensated NOS Holo Audio Spring.

Thank you for your time...

You may want to hold off on this...Roon is coming out with a very big upgrade this month, which, in addition to parametric EQ for each end-point, includes "sample rate conversion to every type of content before it is sent downstream to a direct-connected DAC or over the network to a streamer – yes, from 44.1kHz to 384kHz PCM to DSD128 and DSD256. A choice of SRC filters will allow listeners to season according to taste."

Coming over the hill: the monstrous Roon 1.3 | DAR__KO

ChrisG

Bend, OR