IGNORED

Mutec MC-3+

Some more personal opinions on the Mutec with my system. Note that I have 51 year old ears and last I checked they were not made of gold.

First, thanks for the report on the Mutec 3+USB and Yggy. I have been reading this thread for a bit and looking around the net concerning the 3+USB Smart Clock and other Mutec products.

I sent an email to Mutec asking about the differences between the 1.2 and 3+USB as both offer USB inbound and AES, BNC, S/PDIF out. I inquired about the differences between them.

The "CEO" of Mutec replied to my email - nice!!! And I thought others may be considering a Mutec product for a DDC. Here is his reply:

"thank you for your inquiry.

Generally spoken, you can use the MC-1.2 for that what you want to do, no question. When it comes to improvement of the audiophile quality, you better use the MC-3+USB. It is right that this unit offers much more functionality which is not needed for your application, but inside it is based on our 1G-Clock technology and all audio runs through our re-clocking stage before it is available at the outputs. This helps to improve the audio quality of the MC-3+USB clearly audible over that one of the MC-1.2. But on the other hand we also have lots of customers very satisfied with the quality of the MC1.2 in front of their DAC's"

Best regards, Chris.

Dipl.-Ing. Christian Peters

Geschäftsführer / CEO

Leds with PCM192k, AES 3 output fixed at 192k. If HQ Player PCM filter is set to none, the MC-3+USB will change to suit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24258[/ATTACH]

The two far rows of red Leds are "read only" the result of the green leds to the left. Like I said, these might be totally wrong, we're new at this.

So making sure I understand your settings - please correct if wrong:

Column 1. Using Internal Clock, and Re-clocking output (re-clock not up-sample)

Column 2. You are using USB IN - either with PCM or DSD/DoP inbound - only the first LED would be lit if you were only sending PCM.

Column 3. You are not up-sampling any inbound signal so these are all off

Column 4. Just play the sample rate presented to the Mutec (1x)

Next three column LED's are generated by the Mutec. Outbound signal occurs on ALL out connections so no selection to be made for outbound connection.

This way whatever HQP is sending to the Mutec will get re-clocked at inbound sample rate and sent to your DAC.

I will try :) This device can perform a LOT of functions!

Column 1. Using Internal Clock, and Re-clocking output (re-clock not up-sample).

The reclocking is for the input AND the output. (see page 19 in the manual (last paragraph)).

Column 2. You are using USB IN - either with PCM or DSD/DoP inbound - only the first LED would be lit if you were only sending PCM.

- Not in front of the DDC at the moment, but from memory the 1st LED in column 2 REFERENCE doesn't seem to light up on its own. If the two top LEDS in Column 2 are on, the source is either USB/PCM or USB/DoP.

Column 3. You are not up-sampling any inbound signal so these are all off

It's a little more complex when reading the manual again (page 19 paragraph Selecting <<USB..)

I need more study on this one!

Column 4. Just play the sample rate presented to the Mutec (1x)

Column 4 as explained in post #214 is the output of the rear panel terminals 1A & 1B. The last two LEDS (Columns 6 & 7) define the clock multipliers for the S/PDIF and AES3 outputs. If any are in the x1 row, there's no clock multiplication. So HQPlayer can convert whatever it likes, the MC-3+USB will follow. If you select a x2 or x4 for the S/PDIF or AES 3 outputs, (Column 6 & 7), the MC-3+USB will send out blank data. due to :

Page 21 the note on Multiplying Digital Audio Signals (last paragraph)

"When a digital audio input has been selected as reference and one or both multiplication factors are set higher than × 1, the MC-3+USB will only output black frame signals (AES3 and S/P-DIF signals without audio content) at the audio outputs. A sampling rate conversion of the incoming digital audio signal will not be carried out!"

Yeah I did the RTFM multiple times and still unsure - LOL That is why I asked about your picture and what the settings were doing.

Thanks...

Thanks for your info on the clocking multiplier LED's. I reread the manual (again) and since I'm using AES out, the only LED which should matter is the 4th column (corresponding to AES output) and it has 3 lights because it can only be reclocked up to 192kh.

I did follow using AES (out) the 4th set of lights is for it (1, 2, 4x).

Back for some more trial and error. I'm sure the manual is really clear to the pro audio guys but if they really are aiming this for the consumer audiophile market they may want to reorganize this section (selecting clock multipliers) of the manual a bit.[/Quote]

Agree.

And maybe some more examples from using it as just a cable converter (USB->choice), to up sampling to PCM and/or DSD.

The more you read it, the more things click, but like "One and a Half" stated, there is not much bad we can do.

Found this on Page 21 of manual:

"Multiplying Digital Audo Signals:

When a digital audio input has been selected as reference and one or both multiplication factors are set higher than × 1, the MC-3+USB will only output black frame signals (AES3 and S/P-DIF signals without audio content) at the audio outputs. A samplingrate conversion of the incoming digital audio signal will not be carried out!"

So only 1x settings in columns 3 & 4 for Clock Multipliers if we are outputting via s/pdif or AES.

The more you RTFM it makes more sense.... :)

• 5 months later...

Upgrade 1.01 -> 1.03, then 1.03 -> 1.10 with no problems. Documentation was spot on for process and procedures.

Sound of 1.10 : Overall sound has been improved upon - IMO

Most noticeable in mids and highs, but low end improvements are there too.

Lows are tighter and better defined.

Highs have less grunge/hardness.

Mids/Vocals are not as recessed sounding without becoming bright (too forward) with improved clarity.

Overall the upgrade process was easy and straight forward, and the results are excellent. Nice work Mutec.

Where I'm getting hung up on is the execute utility. Item 3 on page 4 of the download instructions.

I am using Windows 7 and I cannot find that function.

The path to the EXE to update the firmware is listed right above this step in the directions

I found the directions well written and the upgrade/update easy.

Like they also said in instructions, watch the CURRENT VERSION display in the update util as it will change with 1.01 -> 1.03. Close util, reopen, run the 1.03 -> 1.10, watch display....

• 2 months later...

I run USB from computer to Mutec. I have been running the new firmware since release and have had my Mutec LED's turned off. Recently I turned the LED's back on and I see in the REFERNCE that THREE lights are now lit instead of two - two were lit in previous firmware. My DAC only accepts PCM so my player converts DSD to 176.4, so NO DSD or DoP/DSD is being passed to the Mutec.

I see this in release notes:

"Mode change: The »USB-PCM« and »USB-DSD/DoP« references have now been unified as one USB-PCM/DSD/DoP reference.This is reflected on the front panel by the simultaneously illuminated top three LEDs »USB-PCM« and »USB-DSD/DoP«. The unit now auto-detects if a PCM or DSD/DoP stream is present."

Just checking with others running Firmware 1.1 and USB input - does your REFERENCE have the first three lights on? I am not having issues, just curious.

• 2 months later...

Need a picture, really? The text is VERY straight forward on what Columns (Mode, Reference, Status) and which LED's are lit for USB usage.

Each column is noted and each LED is noted.

Press MENU to move between COLUMNS and press SELECT to choose which LED's are lit in each column.

- Top (INTERN) and bottom (RE-CLK) LEDs in the MODE column both light up....

- As a result the top three LEDs in the REFERENCE menu should light up...

- The top blue LOCK-LED and the red AUDIO-LED in the STATUS column should now be illuminated... (make sure you are connected to Mutec)

IMO - For clock multipliers, a starting point is with TOP row lit (1x) - FOUR LED's will be lit

If you use USB and yours does not match, press MENU and SELECT to get the proper LED's lit - simple.