IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Could Sonore / Jesus please clarify some of the details on their website - it lists the new SotM device as having inbuilt linear PSU; but I believe that is a copy & paste, search & replace from the description of their own Orbiter device.

Could they also clarify the description of the volume control if this is more than just the standard LMS volume control which (I understand) works at a server level rather than in the device itself?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 5 months later...
Can this work without LMS? Can this work with, Foobar2000 or Jriver? Also since I will never buy a iPad but might buy a non-Apple Macintosh tablet. Is there any chance this device will work without for me?

Newer firmware supports DNLA, AirPlay and works as MPd player if I remember rightly. In DNLA mode it should work with Foobar 2000 with UPnP plugin or JRiver.

If you use it in Squeezeplay mode then there are a few compatible controllers for Android. No idea about Windows tablets (though you can control LMS with any web browser).

Equally there are UPnP controllers for Android.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

• 4 months later...
For Rhapsody, you can also use the Airplay output mode to stream to the SOtM mini server.

If you're feeling techie... You can also try Shairport for directing from an iOS device to any Logitech Squeezebox compatible device. With the SotM it should (have you tested it Jesus) allow Airplay without the need to switch to Airplay mode.

If you use the latest (v2.3) version of VortexBox this is pre-built. For other LMS installs you will have to investigate for yourself.

Eloise.

Eloise

---

Rhapsody is not a game changer for me. I'd easily swap Rhapsody to Spotify. So that's fine. But I'd need to stick with Pandora, cause I luv that service..... So all good.

Jesus... Am I correct that SqueezeLite as used on the SotM SMS-100 will work with Triode's unofficial Spotify app but not with the official Logitech / Spotify app?

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...

Deleted

Eloise

---

• 4 months later...
Just a request for software developers :

If I've well understood, Linn uses OpenHome for multiroom but as well in combination with Songcast to enable to stream audio from computer to their streamers.

As sotm SMS100 is OpenHome compliant from v.1.3, why still can't we stream to the SMS100 computer sound as Linn owners do to their streamers ?...

Is this a development which is in the pipe for v1.4 ?

Songcast is a separate system to the OpenHome extensions to UPnP. As far as I have been able to track down, only Linn themselves and Auralic have implemented Songcast.

I don't know the inside details ... but I suspect the UPnP mode of the SMS100 utilises the upmpdcli front end for MPD. This was "upgraded" to offer support for OpenHome extensions in version 0.7.0.

Eloise

Eloise

---

If the SMS100 is using the upmpdcli UPnP media renderer, then there may be hope for future Songcast support. The latest version of upmpdcli 0.9.0 has just added support for Songcast via the sc2mpd auxilliary process, produced by the same developer.

Interesting thank you John

Eloise

---

• 4 months later...
Yes, that's exactly why I would like to experiment with usb direct. However, I do need to get around the unlocking upon cycling out issue for it to be a viable everyday solution.

I suspect there is no work around as it sounds like your Esoteric turns off the USB interface when you cycle to CD; and its then dropped by the SMS-100 and only recognised again when rebooting. The iFi DDC on the other hand always presents itself to the SMS-100.

Eloise

---

• 4 months later...
Hum...can we stream Tidal over the sms100?

How?

No idea... But what have you got against Poodles?

Eloise

---

• 6 months later...
The SMS-100 is no longer made. The Sonore Sonicorbiter SE is it's replacement. It's an even better value and runs a newer version of the same software with more capabilities.

I'm not sure that's entirely true...

The SMS-100 was a product from SotM a Korean company which was sold by Sonore as well as other companies. Sonore were involved in its development helping to provide the OS SotM used.

The new Sonicorbiter SE is a product created by Sonore (with help from others) utilising off the shelf hardware.

So the two offer very similar functionality, but the companies behind them are not identical.

(Appologies to Jesus if I have any of this wrong).

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
Yes you are correct. I forgot about the Korean connection as I bought my SMS-100 directly from Sonore.

Would you agree that the Sonicorbiter SE fills the gap left by the demise of SMS-100 at least from the Sonore perspective?

Just to (almost) bring a full stop to this thread / device ... SotM have announced a new SMS-200 which will be officially launched at the Munich Hi-End show in May.

A thread discussing it has been opened -- http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/soul-music-sms-200-unveiled-munich-hi-end-28284/

And on the SotM website -- SOtM - English | sMS-200

Eloise

---