IGNORED

Frustrating Blu-Ray Audio Issue...

Greetings,

I'm using an early-2008 Mac Pro, 16GB RAM, 4x HDD, latest ML 10.8.4 O/S, external LG Blu-Ray drive from OWC.

Having some time ago finished ripping all my CDs to Apple Lossless (ALAC .m4a) format, I recently went through my Music DVDs and Blu-Rays.

All successful - except one - Marillion "Live From Cadogan Hall" Blu-Ray :-(

In addition to the actual concert and a bunch of video extras this also contains their "Less Is More" studio acoustic album in 24/96 LPCM format, and this is where I am having the issue...

I've been using MakeMKV (currently on v1.8.4) plus Handbrake (currently on v0.9.9) for video+audio extracts (saved to MPEG4 .m4v format), and MakeMKV (where needed) plus DAE (DVD Audio Extractor - currently on v7.1.2) for audio only extracts (again to ALAC .m4a format).

Having done a backup of this Blu-Ray with MakeMKV, then DAE using "Folder - open DVD files from file folder" for most of ALAC, WAV, AIFF or FLAC I am able to select Sample Rate as "Same As Input" (which should equate to 96000) and "Bits Per Sample" as 24-bit, but for all of them I only get the option Mono for "Channels" rather than the Stereo I expect and know is present.

I alternatively tried in DAE to use Direct Stream Demux and got a bunch of PCM files, but then using "AIFF from PCM" only 4 of these were actually convertible and all came out as static with all possible combinations of Byte Order and Byte Swapping applied.

If I play the Blu-Ray directly, the 24/96 audio plays fine in nice 24/96 stereo.

Any thoughts whether this is likely a disc issue or a bug in DAE (with either the mono/stereo channels part and/or the PCM saves) ?

Regards.

PitBull.

Greetings,

Problem now solved :-)

Turns out I missed (due to small output window and personal multi-tasking carelessness that MakeMKV was showing a bunch of failed hash checks when backing up the disk - likely the disk has some minor glitches.

However I was still able to navigate into the disk itself and copy out the relevant .m2ts files, then convert them to .m4a with DAE in all their 24/96 glory. Happy days !

Regards.

PitBull