IGNORED

Sonos sound quality

Hey Chris and others. You have mentioned before that the regular Sonos system is not reference quality, but how does it compare to your reference? ;p

What I would like it compared with is a Mac Mini in terms of Sound Quality and Control. This would be my other option. (I know its cheaper and you guys love them but the control is what I particulary love about the Sonos)

I would really love to jump in with this kind of setup as I love the multi room control - general ease of use/ergonomics and using the little amplifiers in other rooms. I also hear the ADM9.1s and the Sonos are quite Synergetic.

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

• 1 month later...

Thought I'ld dredge this thread up to see if anyone had some thoughts on this?

PS3 60bg (160GB installed + Native music Browser)-AVI ADM9.1-Klipsch SW12 Subwoofer-Belkin Power Board- Custom power cables-Supra Sub Cable- No Name Toslink Cable - PROUD NZer

Have you considered the Transporter? - I have not been able to get nearly the same results from SPDIF! I am sure your mileage will vary on this one. I have a very high definition system with the Magneplanars. Ethernet wireless over the Transporter is very good. SPDIF into the transporter is good but not as good as wireless. 24/96 into the transporter via SPDIF is good but not noticeably better than 16/44 over wireless!

Thanks

Eric

The Sonos is the only WiFi device to my knowledge that upgrades 16/44.1 files to 24/44.1. This will improve the sound with most DACs. The problem with it is that the digital outputs have more jitter than most other WiFi devices, including Squeezebox, Duet and Transporter. This can of course be fixed.

Steve N.

I used Sonos for quite a while and thought that for the money, it is very good. However, its analog output is only so so but using it with external DAC is different story. It would be comparible to using a good CD player digital output at least. It also can also benefit quite a bit by using third party modification as well. The main reason I got rid off it is because the lack of support for high resolution file.

Will be used with AVI ADM9.1s so all good in main listening area with its built in DAC- would pair a powered 120 with some Wharefdale bookshelves and a wee sub.

I was unaware about the 24/44 ability of the Sonos which is a plus. I really don't see myself getting too much into Hi Res (except for the odd SACD) so Transporter for me is overkill. Modded Sonos would be interesting but would have to be worth the additional expense.