IGNORED

Call for testers! Daphile

• 4 weeks later...

CHANGES:

• DRM/KMS graphics drivers enabled. Could help on HDMI audio.
  • Firewire support for Mytek DAC fixed (DoP does not work)
  • DSDIFF scanning fixes.
  • ALSA buffer time and period count defaults changed
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.2
  • Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes

Update via your Daphile web UI or download from www.daphile.com.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

CHANGES on July 4th 2014:

• Fix for the previous version web UI problem with iOS browsers (long link names were not truncated properly in Audio Player view).

CHANGES on July 3rd 2014:

• Work-around fix for "ath9k_htc" kernel driver regression (eg. TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi adapter).
  • Improved current track format info in web UI
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.3
  • Other minor changes

• 3 weeks later...

CHANGES on July 21st 2014:

• DRM/KMS graphics drivers are now disabled by default. The enabling must be confirmed after "Save & Restart" in order to verify that system operates properly. It's recommended that you enable them only if you need them for HDMI audio or they solve some other problem.
  • Web UI Audio Player view improvements (not supported in touch devices), eg. resize playlist panel and drag & drop reordering of playlist.
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.15.6
  • ALSA buffer time (320ms->100ms) and period count (6->3) defaults changed again for better generic compatibility
  • Some package updates, other minor changes and bug fixes

• 2 weeks later...
I've installed the latest version on USB, startup & loading scanning the library was a breeze, the interface is great and simple!

The issue I have is that I can't get HDMI audio working (currently my only possibility...).

The audio server seems to run fine, all files visible, playback is running (only visible flaw that VBR seems not accurately recognized) just no audio.

My settings right now are as in the screenshot (plus enabled the KMS under general) limiting the sample rates etc. from initial settings didn't solve. Runs on a dedicated Acer 3810T, 256GB SSD, ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4300. On the same machine I've got a bare Win8.1 Pro with Jriver which runs very smooth via HDMI.

Appreciate any suggestions!

p.s.: Is there any documentation on the setting available anywhere? Auntie google delivered limited results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13782[/ATTACH]

Hi, I think your settings are OK. I suppose you tried also other possible "Device:" options too.

I have by myself managed to test HDMI audio only with some Nvidia and Intel based GPUs. It's quite possible that HDMI audio does not work with Radeon based devices. Hopefully some other could comment on this.

Hello kipeta, I have added a second hard disk to my Daphile system. How can I make it visible in the network environment? File server is activated. I can see the "first hard disk" under Daphile/DaphileData and have access,too. The second hard disk remains invisible.

Regards,

Mario

Clear the "Source Directory" setting for your second drive and it should work.

Hi Guys,

I just pickup for test purposes a DAC Ayre QB-9 192, but unfortunately it's not working with PPA card v2, if use a regular USB is fine, Any thoughts ? I also have a TEAC UD-01 and it's working just fine with PPA card.

Regards,

Alexandre.

There seems to be some strange "combination" problems with NEC uPD720202 based USB ports so that some device don't work when connected to it.

Please check the output from address http://daphile/cgi-bin/logread.cgi and see if you get the messages like this:

Jul 31 00:08:38 daphile user.err kernel: xhci_hcd 0000:02:00.0: ERROR: unexpected command completion code 0x11.

Jul 31 00:08:38 daphile user.info kernel: usb 6-2: Not enough bandwidth for altsetting 1

Jul 31 00:08:38 daphile user.err kernel: usb 6-2: 1:1: usb_set_interface failed (-22)

Currently I don't know any fix for this. Could you please try if the same problem occurs with some other Linux distro?

Apologies if this has been asked before - I did search and couldn't find anything. I'm running daphile from an SSD and am very happy with it, but have one issue. I copied my iTunes library onto the SSD and the scan picks up all of the music perfectly, but only finds around half of the album cover art. It looks as if the ones it doesn't find are the ones iTunes itself found - although I'm not 100% sure of this.

Is there any way of getting daphile to pick up the missing album covers?

Many thanks.

Alan

Please try first "Clear library and rescan everything" rescan available on Info tab.

Your 14.08 install does not correctly install to the HDD. Virtual machine will not boot-up after a restart. The initial install system works fine, but no boot device can be found after a clean boot...

Sorry but I was not able to reproduce the problem. I just created a fresh virtual machibe on VirtualBox, booted using the ISO and installed Daphile on virtual hard disk. Then shut it down, removed ISO CDROM and rebooted from virtual hard disk. Did you mean something different?

This is the exact scenario. Run the ISO image as boot CD, install to VHD (sda device), complete install (remove CD prompt), disconnect the ISO, restart & Daphile runs file. Shutdown VirtualBox VM, start back up again & get no boot device found error...

As an aside, I have a number of other VirtualBox VMs running various flavors of Linux (Ubuntu, Debain, AVLinux) fine.

It worked fine on my test setup. My VirtualBox was version 4.3.10 and running under Ubuntu 14.04. Daphile version that I tested was the latest x86_64 public release. How does your environment differ from mine?

Hi,

I have a question about the capacities of DAPHILE to play DXD files :

I have tried to play DXD 32 bits/ 352.8 kHz and it was not playing,

is it normal (I mean DAPHILE is not able to play such files (32 bits)) or it's me ?

Thank you n advance and have a nice day.

I have tested only the 24bit/352.8kHz DXD files (don't have any 32bit files) and they played well. Does your DAC support 352.8kHz sample rate? If not then you should not disable "WAV"-"FLAC" conversion.

Hello Kimmo,

I am playing with the SrvPowerCtrl plugin at the moment. What's the correct Suspend command in Daphile?

This one: "sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend"?

When I use the "Suspend" button in Daphile, my USB DAC works after waking up. When the SrvPowerCtrl plugin does the mentioned Suspend command, I need to restart Daphile to make it recognize the DAC again.

I would like to make the Daphile sleep after some idle time. The commands for Shutdown and Restart work via the plugin (and iPeng).

Thank you.

Mario

The web UI suspend is made with "sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend" command by same UID. I wonder what could be the difference. I'll try to test it next week.

Very slow scan of media library

I've just added music to my media library, which is on NAS. The initial scan of my music directory (in-progress) has been running for over 20 hours. Granted, I did install Daphile on an ancient PC, but I've never had trouble scanning the library when running other distributions.

The file path listed under the scan is peculiar, so I'm wondering if my settings are messed-up. Here are the scan details:

Here is what I entered as the remote target for the network drive:

I had trouble finding the right syntax to use for the remote target. The full file path is actually 10.0.0.244/mnt/volume1/Media/Music. The target is on a FreeNAS server (ZFS Raid 10). There is no encryption, and cifs sharing is enabled. I have no issues accessing files in the media library via Windows, and read write times are within the normal range.

I assume I’ve set-up something incorrectly, and I’m hoping someone can tell me what.

By the way, is there a shell that I can access via the web gui? From what I understand, it is not possible to access a Daphile server via ssh.

Thanks!

Edit: The music library is approximately 235 GB (12,000 files and 1,000 folders).

My first guess is that you have a symbolic link on NAS drive that is causing infinite loop and this scan is not going stop ever or perhaps system will crash at some point.

Based on the repetition of "/network" in the file path, my first thought was a loop as well. I can't figure out why a loop would only have 35 to 40 iterations (varies by sub-directory), though. If there is a correlation with the raid, I'm not clever enough to see it. The music was copied to a new zpool (4 discs, 2 mirrors, striped) with minimal configuration.

Interestingly, the scan finally finished. The Daphile music library was displaying 35 - 40 copies of each album, though (one for each "/network" in the file path?). I updated the firmware, and the scan began again. This time, the file path looked normal. Unfortunately it started to remove each of the duplicates (slowly), so I cleared the library and began again from scratch. Unfortunately it reverted to the strange file path. I aborted that scan and renamed the Music directory to "music" on the server. No change. Currently I am contemplating pulling my hair out.

Could you please try a private pre-release that has ssh server and root password enabled. Instructions are here: Call for testers! Daphile - Page 19

Login, go to "/media/music/Network Drives/network" and try to look how the loop is formed.

Based on the repetition of "/network" in the file path, my first thought was a loop as well. I can't figure out why a loop would only have 35 to 40 iterations (varies by sub-directory), though. If there is a correlation with the raid, I'm not clever enough to see it. The music was copied to a new zpool (4 discs, 2 mirrors, striped) with minimal configuration.

Interestingly, the scan finally finished. The Daphile music library was displaying 35 - 40 copies of each album, though (one for each "/network" in the file path?). I updated the firmware, and the scan began again. This time, the file path looked normal. Unfortunately it started to remove each of the duplicates (slowly), so I cleared the library and began again from scratch. Unfortunately it reverted to the strange file path. I aborted that scan and renamed the Music directory to "music" on the server. No change. Currently I am contemplating pulling my hair out.

Do you have anyting in the "Identification" field? If that is lft empty it could have some strange behaviour (which is of course a bug that should be fixed).

I use Sound Blaster Digital Music Premium HD as external USB Dac. Daphile recognized the hardware, but no sound. Are there any solution?

Check the "Mixer controls" settings at "Settings -> Audio Devices". You might have enable something there.

Hello Kimmo,

I am playing with the SrvPowerCtrl plugin at the moment. What's the correct Suspend command in Daphile?

This one: "sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend"?

When I use the "Suspend" button in Daphile, my USB DAC works after waking up. When the SrvPowerCtrl plugin does the mentioned Suspend command, I need to restart Daphile to make it recognize the DAC again.

I would like to make the Daphile sleep after some idle time. The commands for Shutdown and Restart work via the plugin (and iPeng).

Thank you.

Mario

I found a partial solution for SrvrPowerCtrl Suspend problem but it requires the beta version of the srvrPowerCtrl plugin and the latest pre-release that's available at:http://www.daphile.com/tmp.P8SxQ0Qwy6

If you have full installation of Daphile, you can upgrade to the pre-release version as follows:

• 2 weeks later...

CHANGES on the September 16th 2014 version:

• Player control application on local UI (optional)
  • "File manager" tool in web interface
  • Kernel upgrade to the latest stable version 3.16.2
  • Power saving improvements (eg. dynamic CPU frequency option)
  • Other minor changes (eg. RAM Disk)
  • Bug fixes

• Bug fixes

Previous release (Sep 16th 2014) had a bug related to CIFS mounting when a username is used. It is now fixed and the new version is available.

• Bug fixes

The power saving changes in the Daphile 14.09 versions seem to cause boot problems on some PC hardware. If you experience the same, please try the version available at web address:

You are able to upgrade the full installation of Daphile to this version as follows:

I don't recommend this version for the users who don't have the boot problems with the other 14.09 version.

The same procedure enables to revert the Daphile version back to 14.08 by using the following download links:

I try to have a better fix after my vacation next week (I'll be offline) and have the power saving settings as configurable options in the next public release.

• 1 month later...
Daphile currently does not support disks larger than 2TB. Please check "TODO" list at Daphile download/changelog page.

Actually the limitation is only for the Daphile boot drive. Larger than 2TB (GPT partition table) drives can be used as data drives.