IGNORED

Wireless subwoofer question

I recently posted a thread about a Sonos set up versus alternatives.

I'm on the point of buying the Sonos Connect:Amp, and pairing it with some in-ceilings.

I also want to add a wireless subwoofer, but not the Sonos sub.

My question is this: if I use a B&W sub (say a PV1), and hook it up using a wireless adaptor kit, will this work with the Sonos?

Sonos tech support have told me they don't recommend it, because sub adaptors will broadcast at the same frequency as the Sonos (2.4 Ghz) and this might cause interference.

Does anyone have a view on this or, even better, a recommendation for a workaround?

Thanks.

I recently posted a thread about a Sonos set up versus alternatives.

I'm on the point of buying the Sonos Connect:Amp, and pairing it with some in-ceilings.

I also want to add a wireless subwoofer, but not the Sonos sub.

My question is this: if I use a B&W sub (say a PV1), and hook it up using a wireless adaptor kit, will this work with the Sonos?

Sonos tech support have told me they don't recommend it, because sub adaptors will broadcast at the same frequency as the Sonos (2.4 Ghz) and this might cause interference.

Does anyone have a view on this or, even better, a recommendation for a workaround?

Thanks.

I would also add that due to the long wavelengths of LF content and the other components of the system NOT being wireless, there is a bit lag with wireless subs. I would strongly suggest you audition a wireless sub/wires SAT system and see if the lag is perceived or objectionable to you. I'd also add that there are some in ceilings with response into the 40hz realm, where for music as background, that's probobly all you really need. There's also in ceiling subwoofers that would negate the need for wireless but instead a small, seperate amplifier that could be conceived with the SONOs unit. There's also a unit from Boston Acoustic with a built in passive crossover that doesn't require an additional amp, but instead low passes your stereo SONOS amp.

Mayhem,

Thanks. Yes, understood about the risk of lag. I should be able to use a wired sub without any problem - and will probably do so - and try it wirelessly in the knowledge I can live with it being wired if necessary. Shame the Sonos sub is so expensive and so ugly!