IGNORED

Mad Season - Above

I bought Mad Season's re-issued/remastered album, "Above" yesterday and was even more excited that they remade the "Live at the Moore" for DVD. Then I saw that HD Tracks released it at 24/44.1. For a split second, I thought, sheesh, this is gonna run me $45 for both purchases. Then I came to my senses. This album is almost 20 years old and I still listen to it on a very regular basis...of course I'll spring or the 24-bit version. I'm glad I did. I've only compared the first track, "Wake UP" between the remastered CD version and the 24-bit version, but I'll just say, for anyone who's one the fence and doesn't care about the DVD, get the 24-bit version. On the CD, the bass guitar is much more muddy and it's amp hum is more prevalent in the background. The xylophone doesn't sound as real and the noise floor is higher than the 24-bit version. Highly recommended!

• 4 weeks later...
The HDT 24/44 is phenomenal. A great, great record.

The Kevin Grey vinyl cut just issued is even better.

Wish I could have tracked this one down on Record Store Day - guess I'll have to wait until more copies are released next month...

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

Easily found in Toronto as of a few days ago at least.

Where? I've been to 2 Sunrise stores since RSD and no dice...where did you find it?

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

Where? I've been to 2 Sunrise stores since RSD and no dice...where did you find it?

Hah! I knew I would eventually run across someone who buys at Sunrise! 20% higher than anywhere else AFTER their discount card!

Rotate is the place to buy vinyl in Toronto and they have them, at a good price. They have more RSD stuff than Sunrise - and Sunrise are the distributors in Canada (but that is a whole 'nother story).

Hah! I knew I would eventually run across someone who buys at Sunrise! 20% higher than anywhere else AFTER their discount card!

Rotate is the place to buy vinyl in Toronto and they have them, at a good price. They have more RSD stuff than Sunrise - and Sunrise are the distributors in Canada (but that is a whole 'nother story).

Wow, even in the act of helping people you still manage to be a smart-ass.

Yes, I've been to Rotate This several times. Problem for me is it is quite a bit out of the way whereas Sunrise and the two Sonic Boom locations are way more convenient. I didn't find the prices at Rotate This much better than anywhere else - and FYI I've got a lot of great deals at Sunrise, especially with their double discount weekends. Even my brother, who lives in Montreal and goes to an independant shop far better than Rotate This, is often jealous of what I find at Sunrise.

Anyways, thanks for the part of your post which isn't condescending.

Wow, even in the act of helping people you still manage to be a smart-ass.

Yes, I've been to Rotate This several times. Problem for me is it is quite a bit out of the way whereas Sunrise and the two Sonic Boom locations are way more convenient. I didn't find the prices at Rotate This much better than anywhere else - and FYI I've got a lot of great deals at Sunrise, especially with their double discount weekends. Even my brother, who lives in Montreal and goes to an independant shop far better than Rotate This, is often jealous of what I find at Sunrise.

Anyways, thanks for the part of your post which isn't condescending.

You are right, there is fabulous stuff to be found at Sunrise that might not be at Rotate. They have loads of Adele and Justin Timberlake vinyl, for example.

Seriously, Sunrise at any location have a fraction of the selection that Rotate does (vinyl, that is).

Sonic Boom is a bit better price wise than Sunrise, but they are horrific scam artists at buying used CD's from hard up students for literally 75 cents to a dollar and flipping them for $12 or $13, which is their core business. For that reason alone, I could not buy anything from them.

Sunrise are the distributors for RSD in Canada. That's why a lot of the really small quantity stuff never gets into any real indie stores but appears at Sunrise for higher prices. In fact, true indie stores like Rotate simply order all their RSD stuff from the U.S. and completely go around Sunrise.

Today I bought 2 Blu Rays - new releases - at Future Shop for $24.99 each. At Sunrise, after their 'discount', they were $27.99 and $26.99 or so. Nuff said.

Those are the reasons I buy at Rotate, more than price. It is just a question of in a small way not supporting what I feel are dishonest businesses.

And they have Mad Season's "Above".

You are right, there is fabulous stuff to be found at Sunrise that might not be at Rotate. They have loads of Adele and Justin Timberlake vinyl, for example.

Seriously, Sunrise at any location have a fraction of the selection that Rotate does (vinyl, that is).

Sonic Boom is a bit better price wise than Sunrise, but they are horrific scam artists at buying used CD's from hard up students for literally 75 cents to a dollar and flipping them for $12 or $13, which is their core business. For that reason alone, I could not buy anything from them.

Sunrise are the distributors for RSD in Canada. That's why a lot of the really small quantity stuff never gets into any real indie stores but appears at Sunrise for higher prices. In fact, true indie stores like Rotate simply order all their RSD stuff from the U.S. and completely go around Sunrise.

Today I bought 2 Blu Rays - new releases - at Future Shop for $24.99 each. At Sunrise, after their 'discount', they were $27.99 and $26.99 or so. Nuff said.

Those are the reasons I buy at Rotate, more than price. It is just a question of in a small way not supporting what I feel are dishonest businesses.

I would agree with you based on what I've seen of Rotate This that they have a better selection - although the newer Sonic Boom in Kensington is quite good. However...the price differences are mitigated in my case by extreme inconvenience. I'd guess that this is a big reason why they might have lower prices on lots of stuff - that's likely a lower rent district they're in. I'm never in that area - and the area itself is nowhere near a subway - and parking and traffic are both horrible during the hours I could actually go there.

Again, say what you want about Sunrise but I have scored some awesome deals there particularly on double discount weekends - great prices on Neil Young's latest, Tull's Thick as a Brick box-set and Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie box-set immediately come to mind. Believe it or not, people who do or think differently from you are not necessarily morons.

That said, I will try to give Rotate This a call and make the trek there if I can get my hands on Mad Season. Thanks for the suggestion.

No they don't.

Sold out a few days ago. You snooze, you lose - but it will be more widely available soon.

People behind the desk told me they never got any copies.

And as I remembered, prices were good for the most part but not consistent. Some stuff was cheaper at Sunrise. I reminded myself why it's just usually not worth my time and hassle to go there...

• 1 month later...

Thanks. Purchased for $30 at Sunrise. Sounds GREAT! Way better than the HDTracks download (which also sounds good)...