IGNORED

XP - MediaMonkey (ASIO) vs iTunes (QUICK blind test)

Before I mention the results of this test I'd like to state that it was completed pretty quickly. We used only three songs from the same album, Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, noted for it's sound quality.

Martin played each track in Itunes and MediaMonkey and with my eyes closed, I had to guess which was which.

Martin's laptop was set up so that the K-Mixer would not interfere with his audio, certain conditions allow for bit perfect passthrough according to an earlier thread on here and the programmer of my audio card drivers (cmedia code), aswell as many other sources.

I failed to tell them apart. I wanted to be able to hear a difference, but could I ? ... no, I couldn't. In theory I shouldn't have been surprised. This also has nothing to do with the quality of Martins system either, his Mackie monitors and Presonus firewire interface better his previous (more expensive) hifi setup.

We'll continue the test another day across a number of tracks; it's quite good fun actually in a geek sort of way (what's wrong with being a geek ?). Martin has also compared playback using his headphones; he'll probably post here regarding those tests.

Hopefully of interest to some. Whether I'll hear the same with Vista or not I don't know as it always resamples if you're not using ASIO or WASAPI. As we complete further testing we'll post our results.

< Peter - I know you'll mention dither ;-) >

< the test made me nervous >

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

BEEMB is there a "how-to" on using iTunes on XP in a way that bypasses Kmixer?

FWIW, when I do comparisons like this I like to include some big orchestral works in my testing. I find this kind of music to be more challenging for a system to get right. I also have piano and choral works on my list for tough hurdles. Just a thought, since you're thinking of continuing the test.

Thanks for your report!

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

Hello Flatmap,

There is quite a lot of info on this subject deep within forums. This may be of interest and I think it sums up the XP side of things quite nicely. The audio card still matters though.

http://code.google.com/p/cmediadrivers/wiki/Bitperfect

Piano and choral works are quite a test, I agree. Do you have any particular test tracks. (This is my way of getting you to post some music which I'll then go and listen to).

HTPC: AMD Athlon 4850e, 4GB, Vista, BD/HD-DVD into -> ADM9.1

BEEMB, thanks for the link. I'll study up!

Ah test tracks.. Well for your consideration you might look at Berlioz's Roméo Et Juliette, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5, Elgar: Violin Concerto in B minor, Op.61, Weill's Symphony No. 2, but of course also Beethoven's Symphony No.9. I usually use (any) one of the Rachmaninov piano concertos. Really I could go on all day. :-)

I don't know if this is worth saying, but I use music that I love and know well. The kind of result I want to have is when I get so lost in the music that I completely forget that I'm doing any kind of test. :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

There was certainly very little - if any - difference between the two.

Will carry out some more testing. The great thing is it's so simple for any one to test this, so give it a go, and let us know your thoughts ??!!

On a different note, we are planning to set-up a Mackie vs AVI listening session in the near future (and include some pics if Matt (beemb) can work out how to upload them!!!).

The general feeling so far, is that these two pairs of active speakers sound different, but very good. As we have only listened in our own homes, how much of this is down to the room we don't know (the rooms are VERY different).........................

iTunes / Media Monkey, PC, Presonus Firebox --> Mackie HR624 mkII Active Monitors, M&K VX7 mkII