IGNORED

Room Correction Caps v3 Carbon

Finally got around to installing room correction software on the Carbon, and it works great!

I'm posting to point out that room correction is possible on the Carbon with a few caveats;

1) I must stress the only program I verified can work is ARC 2 from IK Multimedia and that has some low system requirements ( Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or Intel Core Duo or AMD Athlon 64, and 1 GB of RAM). Even with these low system requirements the CPU percentage spikes up to over 90% during load up of plugin in JRIVER.

2) For the ARC 2 system you need a hardware interface to use THEIR mic.

3) I needed to use a different computer to take the measurements because the Carbon was not playing nice with my hardware (Digi 003 Rack). I was able to use the same signal chain otherwise though.

4) I do not have filedizer installed, but have taken some basic configurations posted in ted_b's CAPS 2.1 thread. I suspect the computer might crash if both filedizer and the correction software are used with the Carbon at the same time.

so...if you want room correction and you have a Carbon and also are a musician with some gear already lying around your home this is a great solution.

This is great and super helpful to know. My Carbon should be arriving from Small Green Computer any day now and I'm planning to add a couple of parametric EQs within JRiver to tame a couple of bass peaks. Your experience is reassuring that the parametric EQ should work fine in JRiver on Carbon.

Hopefully other will post what has worked for them, but this works excellently.

I must add one thing. Over on the main CAPS 3 Carbon post gwilson pointed out how to get the 1080p driver to work which then allowed me to install the PCIe Mini Card graphics enhancer that rdsu recommended last month on the same post (Broadcom Hardware Decoder BCM970015). Once installed, CPU usage decreased to a healthier 43%. Which, I think, is noteworthy in documenting a more stable solution to room correction.

Next up for me is tackling battery power.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I wanted to verify that you did measurement with ARC 2 on one computer then transferred the measurement (VST) to your CAPs Carbon. Secondly, did you have to install a second instance of ARC 2 on the Carbon or just the VST itself?

Thanks!

Hi,

I wanted to verify that you did measurement with ARC 2 on one computer then transferred the measurement (VST) to your CAPs Carbon. Secondly, did you have to install a second instance of ARC 2 on the Carbon or just the VST itself?

Thanks!

That's exactly right. Had to take measurements on a laptop, and transfer the measurement file with to the CAPS. This is a bit of a pain in the ass because ARC only lets you install the program in 1 OS, so if you have a mac your SOL unless you torrent.

That is not to say that it's impossible to take the measurements on the CAPS, but I could not figure it out. Might be a Windows 8 issue, might be a motherboard issue, but I could not correctly set the inputs and outputs in ARC2. I could also possibly have been unlucky or dumb. Long story short; it may be possible but not in my ability.

I think ARC makes you install the entire program, but I uninstalled what I didn't need afterwards. Not 100% sure about this.

That's great info. Both systems are Windows 7 but only one has a proper soundcard and mic inputs

(It's a DAW that I use in my home studio). Do you need to use ASIO on the Carbon system to host the VST or can you use the recommended WASAPI Event?

Thanks!