IGNORED

First multi-channel DSD playback solution with Mytek!

You can also do 8 channel with an Oppo and a Audiopraise Vanity HD card. Spdif or aes out to 3-4 dacs. I am having Joseph Chow of Audio Horizons build a 8 channel passive volume control using 47 step Elma smd control.

Level trim and such can be adjusted within the Oppo. I'm thinking a quad stack of level 2 Holo Spring's

That's the rub.. the Vanity HD does not have a word clock in. They said they could add one as it's not a big deal. They do have a re locker and very nice ppl in the card already.

I was thinking 4 very high quality matched length cables. Ted Smith at PS Audio did something similar with a stack of his DSD DAC's and it worked just fine.

Maybe use a Mutec device? Gotta assemble the DAC's and volume control first...

If the S/PDIF outputs use the same clock, there will be no drift. Assuming identical DACs have equal latency, the outputs should be in sync.

That is what I thought of when reading about Ted at PS running a stack of three DSD DAC's. Even if you were good at picking up a set of 4 used, your still looking at $15k. You could get 4 springs for half that amount. Even less if you went with a Tascam which I have. I thought of getting 3 more of those also..

Let's keep exchanging ideas because I'm in the middle of doing this now. I have the Oppo 103D with the Spdif card and Linear power supply. I have plenty of Amps and Speakers too!

It would depend on how long it would take JC to build it. He's been rebuilding/heavily modifying my Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Center and that's been over a year in the making. (Tube regulated power supply, all inputs replaced with silver wbt's, new Lundahl Transformer and Choke etc ) If you are really interested in my decent into audio madness:

CarverAudio.com • View topic - The Mother of all Sunfire Vacuum Tube Pre Amp Upgrades

So my other idea was a SPL Vol 8 https://spl.info/en/products/monitor-controller/volume-8/overview.html you can pick one up for around $700 plus another couple hundred for the break out cables... that might be a nice fool proof way to have a master volume control.. If i have JC build it, i would use the new Elma switches. I would like independent control of each group of 2 and sub plus a master control.

I think the SPL would probably be cheaper and just use the built in trim controls in the Oppo....