IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Does Lumin load playlist in players memory? If you shutdown control point does music keep playing?

I believe so... It works just like a Linn does.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...
Hello - I'm a new lumin User and owner of a few SACD's.

What is the best was into quality in sound, to rip teh music to digtial high res files, which i can play with my Lumin Player?

Do I need the "playstation process" to get great DSD Files? What is your preference in format?

Thank you!

The PS/3 method is the only way to extract audio from a SACD (using consumer grade equipment) without having to have an analogue conversion in the process.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

• 1 month later...
While i do have two routers (both Actiontec FIOS routers) all the devices wired or wireless are on the same subnet 192.168.1.x. The primary router downstairs (coax connected0 is also currently the source of the wireless. The router that is upstairs (also coax connected) which provides the ethernet port has DHCP turned off, WAN coax turned off and currently the wireless is turned off.

I could turn on the wireless and give it the same SSID and password as the downstairs and effectively act as an extender to the wireless network...

From reading this I assume you are purely using the second router as a hub to provide additional ethernet ports... If this is so, may be worth simplifying the situation by replacing this second router with a simple switch from NetGear or Belkin.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
And don't forget Sony quality, reputation and resources behind the product.

<tounge in cheek>Is that meant to be a positive for the Sony or a recommendation for the LUMIN?</tounge in cheek>

>:-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

Strange question. Why would anyone choose a less expensive component, when you can buy a similar quality one for triple the price

What I'm saying is that (in recent years) I'm not sure Sony have much of a reputation for quality; and their resources put into this product are probably quite minimal ...

There may be reasons to recommend the Sony over the Lumin, but "Sony's quality, reputation and resources behind the product" is possibly not one of them!

Anyway this is a thread about LUMIN so not sure starting to discuss Sony's reputation is relevant.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
Not being an IT wizard myself, where do you recommend I start looking? Thanks for any help you can give.

I haven't read the whole of your problems or the setup you have; but I would unplug (or turn off) everything from your network except the LUMIN, your NAS (or computer running UPnP server) and your iPad. You'll also need to leave on your router and any switch.

A couple of other pointers: ensure you have the least possible switches between devices, ie where possible wire multiple switches back to a single central switch rather than linking one to the next.

Perhaps (if you haven't already) you could list what network gear you utilise and a list of devices you have attached.

Eloise

Eloise

---

With respect; the fact that there is some interaction between Twonky 4, LMS 7.8 (which is itself a beta product if I recall correctly) and Minimserver which causes LUMIN to crash *IS* a setting or configuration outside the LUMIN app. Now you are correct it is a bug, but I suspect one that will be incredibly difficult for Pixel Magic to track down unless you are able to work directly with them.

It is even possible there is no bug with LUMIN and that it is working properly in that there is some packet on your network caused by a bug in other software which is ignored (incorrectly) by other application and only LUMIN tries to process it and so crashes. (For an example Mozilla often highlighted errors in HTML coding which IE would ignore).

Is there a particular reason you need multiple UPnP servers? The UPnP server in LMS7.8 can be disabled easily without affecting the working of LMS with Squeezebox clients. Not sure what you are doing with Twonky which cannot be done with Minimserver (or is it streaming video?).

Eloise

In my and bluesky's case there is only one variable. The disabling of all other upnp servers or keeping them enabled. As soon as the other servers are disabled, leaving only minimserver as the sole upnp server, then suddenly Lumin app doesn't crash anymore. Just like magic. That proves the bug lies in the lumin app. I dont know if it is the presence of twonky4 , lms 7.8 that triggers this bug (jiver seemingly work alongside minimserver) but the fact is that the presence of an enabled but non-active upnp server should never cause the Lumin app to crash.

And once again I don't follow what you mean by network configuration / IT structure. You , like me, like 99,99999% of everybody that are running a basic home network, have a wireless router that clients are connected to with either ethernet or wireless with no unusual configuration. That IS the IT structure right there. All other control points work flawlessly, all other ios apps works flawlessly, all my desktop programs work flawlessly with my humble IT structure. And I am positively sure psme will chime in later and confirm the bug.

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
As far as I can remember how the Linn DS sounds (I used DS before), I prefer Lumin A1 to Linn DS.

Just for clarity ... which Linn DS did you have? And what age as the sound quality has improved with developments I believe.

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...
I owned a Majik DS back a few years ago with dynamic power supply. May be the DS itself is not to blame and it has inherited the signature sound of Linn, very smooth and soothing but it lacks the punch to meet my requirement. Here I am talking about the same price range, so it will not be fair to suggest other higher class, said Klimax.

It's difficult to compare ... But here (in UK) the Minn Majik DS is £1800 vs £5000 for the Lumin A1.

Eloise

---

• 2 weeks later...
As written in my former posts, only most but not all my music in folder/files with Chinese Characters do not display properly, so if the problem is caused by your explanation of the inability to load UTF-8 by the Synology NAS itself, this cannot explain why only some and not all cannot be displayed properly. Even so, what is the reason why JRiver can display properly and not MinimServer. Does the NAS intellectually load the UTF-8 for JRiver and refuse to load for the MinimServer or JRiver does not need loading the UTF-8.

My isolation of the problem showed that both Lumin Apps and Kinsky cannot display exactly the same folder/files properly using the minimserver, that suggests it is not the apps. It is the difference of using minimserver and JRiver server that results in the capability of displaying the Chinese Character.

For clarity and by way of explanation: this is happening because of the different methods that J.River uses to access the files vs Minimserver.

I am assuming you use J.River on a separate PC (or Mac). In doing this J.River will access your music files using file server protocols (probably SMB/CIFS). To J.River this appears the same as reading the files from a directly attached drive and J.River can read the file and extract all the metadata.

When you are using Minimserver, the NAS itself is responsible for extracting metadata and presenting it to the control point. As Minimserver is running directly on the NAS it is affected by the UTF-8 bug which appears to be present in DSM5.0. Lumin and Kinsky just present the meta-data as sent to it by Minimserver.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
Hello, psme

I'm new in this forum. I have a problem configuration between my Lumin A1 and Nas Synology DS 214.

Before I bought it, I played my Lumin with an external usb HD. All things runs! I can hear my file even in DSD. All kind of file resolutions was made.

But, now with the Nas Synology I cannot able to setup it with Lumin.

Can You help me?

I know that You are an expert in this field.

I'll apprecciate Your further informations.

Thanks a lot.

Ignazio

It sounds to me that you have not yet set up the DLNA/UPnP server on the NAS. Ideally you want to run MinimServer rather than the default Synology server so look at Installing MinimServer on a Synology NAS

If you have any problems with that procedure people may be able to help with specifics here (or there is an active forum specifical for MinimServer).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Dear Eloise,

Minisever already installed in the Synology Nas..

Everiything, now, is fine.. Sound is beautiful..smooth!

Great, Lumin!

Thank You very much for the Help and precious informations.

All the Best!

Ignazio

Glad you got it sorted and I was able to help.

Eloise

---

• 5 months later...

@pmse

Is there any likelihood that in the future Lumin (app) will read ArtistSort, AlbumSort, etc tags so that music is organised as I want it rather than as the app decides? Yes I know I could use "folder" view but that's not the answer to the question as in folder view I'd rather just use Kinsky or Kazoo.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 5 months later...
"a fully-digital signal path all the way to the speaker outputs"

LUMIN M1

Class-D power amplification retains digital signal path right to the speaker outputs

Does this indicate direct digital amplification (which is a subset of Class D) ala NAD C390DD/M2; or are they misrepresenting Class-D and its actually analogue input Class-D ala Hypex?

Eloise

---