IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v3 Carbon

I believe Streacom and Wesena are the same mfg... I found this version that is very similar but has heatsinks on the side which you dont have to use if using the DN2800mt board. Not bad looking at all. I purchased their F7C EVO case and its a great looking well made case.

I believe Streacom are the official distributor (not sure the correct term) of PC cases manufactured by Wesena in the far east.

There was a website/company wesena dot co dot uk but I believe they have been issued a cease and desist notice about using the Wesena name as they didn't have rights to use it.

So just a warning/clarification which perhaps Chris could/should research and let us know.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I was made aware of a case made in the US (!) for HTPC. They looked fantastic and would fit right in next to most anyone's megabux amp or DAC. Some of the models included heat sinks/pipes for use with hi-powered 'boards. I can't recall the manufacturer but one of their principles used to post here. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Sounds like you're describing HDPlex.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Which HDplex would suit the CAPS3 Carbon build Eloise? The H 5.5? And with what Power supply>?

Thanks

I don't actually have any experience with the HDPlex cases - just suggesting that's what was being described.

From their website I think the H5.S would be the closest to the CAPS case described above.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...
After reading the great CAPS threads I do see recurring issues with the USB to DAC connection. Since PCIe connection is possible, I would love to see a taste test between a PCIe card to DAC connection using an AES/EBU balanced (XLR 110ohm) connection. There is a reason why PCIe and balanced connections are so prevalent in pro audio / audio studios environment. A bit obvious, I know, but getting rid of unwanted noise is key.

Without putting words into anyone's mouth (I hope) I believe the majority of people who have tested and compared prefer a USB to SPDIF (or AES) converter rather than a PCI(e) card with AES or SPDIF output.

Eloise

Eloise

---

• 5 months later...
Andrew at Small Green Computer replied back to me saying the SOtM board has it's own host controller so using USB peripheral is OK like a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse or the USB cable to a touch monitor.

My CAPS v3 from SGC did not come with any documentation or driver CD. I am having a problem with using a new Dell monitor... resolution and aspect are way off and I cannot control it through Win8. Intel site doesn't list a driver for Win8 on this motherboard? Also, the left front panel USB is not connected inside as per SGC. Took me awhile to discover that, again no docs. Having a few leaning glitches with this product but it does sound GOOD so I'll keep at it.

Any suggestions?

You may have problems with monitors because of the lack of drivers for Windows 8. The only available driver is for Windows 7 32bit (which should be installable if you run the installer as Adminitrator in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I believe this is a real shortcoming of the CAPS "recipe" if you want to run it with a monitor (rather than headless as many people do).

Eloise

Eloise

---

Keep in mind that if you use the 802.11AC miniPCIe card you need the 64 bit version of Windows 8. I had to reinstall the OS just to test this card.

And keep in mine then the graphics drivers are non-existent.

Eloise

---