IGNORED

Audioengine A5's acting up after 18 months... Advice?

Hi,

I purchased a set of these speakers 18 months ago and the left speaker (the one with the amp) often does not engage when turned on. It clicks, but no sound. The right plays fine, but I have to turn the power on and off many times (like 20+) before the left will actually play.

It will play for a few minutes then quit again after a few minutes or play at a drastically reduced volume. A power on / off will generally fix it then (doesn't need 20 as it appears ... warmed up).

I've contacted audioengine and they've not been particularly helpful (received the standard list of things to check / try).

None helped.

Any electronics types that have an idea what might be wrong?

I hate to put these to pasture so quickly as I paid a premium for them and frankly expect audio equipment to last for years (as do the traditional amp and speaker system usually).

Any help advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

M

NAD: 356BEE, 545BEE CD, PP-3 Phono Preamp, 555i Turntable[br]Arcam: rDac[br]PSB: Image T6 Tower speakers. [br]Apple: iPhone 4-32, macbook pro 15\" (nov. 2010), Time Capsule 2TB[br]

Where are you from? USA or Europe? That will affect the service you can legally expect.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I will try to push them.

The place I bought them has a 1 year warranty, then it defaults to the 3 year manufacturer warranty.

However, if you read the fine print, this appears to apply to only USA and I reside in Canada.

I liked them, was close to buying another set (but the A5+) for a different room, but won't touch it if they won't assist me.

Will replace with NuForce Dia and PSB Image T5 bookshelves.

Likely will sound better anyway.

If anyone has an opinion on the NuForce, do tell!

Thanks,

M

NAD: 356BEE, 545BEE CD, PP-3 Phono Preamp, 555i Turntable[br]Arcam: rDac[br]PSB: Image T6 Tower speakers. [br]Apple: iPhone 4-32, macbook pro 15\" (nov. 2010), Time Capsule 2TB[br]

It sounds like either a driver or something inside the left speaker is shorted, causing the amplifier to go into protection mode. Unless you have a multimeter and some basic electrical skills, there's not much you can do other than the troubleshooting they ask and then as indicated, Audioengine should issue an RMA for you to ship the unit back to them if they wish to extend your warranty as a Goodwill claim. It can't hurt to mention in your Email exchanges that your involved in a few AV forums and haven't been able to resolve your issue. A smart warranty administrator should realize the potential for you the customer to 'share' your bad experience with what may be tens of thousands of fellow enthusiasts, and the impact that might have on the brand.

It sounds like either a driver or something inside the left speaker is shorted, causing the amplifier to go into protection mode. Unless you have a multimeter and some basic electrical skills, there's not much you can do other than the troubleshooting they ask and then as indicated, Audioengine should issue an RMA for you to ship the unit back to them if they wish to extend your warranty as a Goodwill claim. It can't hurt to mention in your Email exchanges that your involved in a few AV forums and haven't been able to resolve your issue. A smart warranty administrator should realize the potential for you the customer to 'share' your bad experience with what may be tens of thousands of fellow enthusiasts, and the impact that might have on the brand.

Thanks for the tip on mentioning the ... mentioning of AV forums, a great tip!

Following is the non-committal response from Audioengine...

Thanks for the update. In Canada you would need to contact our distributor for after sale service. See the link below;

Canada

Sincerely,

Marshall

I'm handy with a multi meter and some unforgotten electrical skills from an ancient engineering degree, but if they won't honor the apparent 3 year warranty, I'll just hack the speaker to make it passive and buy a reliable amp (like the NuForce Dia).

The whole thing upsets me.

15 months, then toast.

M

With respect... They have told you the correct people to contact. Surely you should give them a chance to sort out your problem?

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

With respect... They have told you the correct people to contact. Surely you should give them a chance to sort out your problem?

Eloise

My intention, thank you.

M

My intention, thank you.

M

Sorry if I read your previous comment the wrong way...

Eloise

---

• 1 month later...

End of story ...

It took a while, but they were warrantied.

The perk is that they were replaced with A5+ version.

Kudos to AudioEngine & Atlanta.ca (the Canadian distributor) with the way this was handled.

I used the advice from above and dropped the ComputerAudiophile forum name in my request to be sure I had their attention.

Now I have to solve the buzz the A5+'s have with my Airport Express, but that will be a different thread if I cannot fix it with the suggestions in the instruction manual.

Thanks,

M