IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

Does the Rasp Pi package support i2s?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 year later...

As a matter of interest / maybe making things easier; can you change your line

# dd if=/Users/<your Mac username>/Downloads/debian-wheezy-7.2-armhf-3.8.13-bone30.img of=/dev/disk1

to simply

# dd if=~/Downloads/debian-wheezy-7.2-armhf-3.8.13-bone30.img of=/dev/disk1

The ~ character is usually used for the home directory of the currently logged in user.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Normally, yes, but as I switched to the root (super) user with "sudo su" the home directory is /var/root. That is why you need to type the complete path.

HTH

Sorry I missed the sudo su command.

Eloise

---

• 1 year later...
Judging by the drastic improvement in sound their ASIO for OSX drivers made vs Core Audio, I'm a firm believer in ASIO. ASIO has also provided the best sound on every DAC I've tried that has optional ASIO drivers.

You do realise don't you that ASIO is a third party (Sternberg) system created due to issues with Windows (and at the time Mac OS) native sound support? In time it became a defacto standard on Windows for professional audio.

Core Audio replaced previous Mac OS sound standards and while it has its issues is generally considered superior by professional audio companies to other systems and therefore ASIO fell out of favour.

Linux has multiple sound standards including OSS (pretty much depreciated), ALSA and PulseAudio.

Saying ASIO makes Windows superior to Linux is comparing Apples and Oranges!

As an aside Blizzard ... you may find people take your suggestions and post better if you stop using absolute statements such as "The Ultimate" especially when you are talking with (or against) some of the more respected audio engineers and software designers in the industry and no-one knows anything about your own experience.

Eloise

---

Ok then the fact that you need to use Windows to take advantage of most ASIO drivers, gives Windows an advantage in this department.

No, you're missing the point. ASIO is NOT necessary because ALSA IS akin to ASIO in its operation! ASIO does not provide the sound quality advantage - avoiding Windows sound subsystem is what causes any sound quality advantage.

You are limited because exaSound are unable/unwilling to create a driver for Linux ... that is exaSound's issue NOT Linux's. Everything you want to do (excluding Roon currently) is possible with Linux IF the drivers were available.

Eloise

---

However I thought you needed the Windows Theyscon ASIO driver to take advantage of that.

I think the issue is not ASIO vs other interfaces ... its that Native DSD in either 2 channel or multi-channel is not supported in WASAPI nor CoreAudio. It is however supported with ALSA.

Eloise

---