IGNORED

JRiver tips and techniques: user experiences repository

ted_b

I run dual pc Jplay setup, and both my Caps (Carbon and Zuma) are on 24/7, and JRIver is on 24/7, running as a Windows service (JRIver calls it Media Server and it is a Windows Startup option in JRiver). That way it is only a background task, not a GUI screen eating up graphics processing, etc. JRemote (iPad) is then the daily access to it, and if you need to maintain it then right click its icon in the task bar and bring up the GUI.

Ted, looking at that image, I want to be able to place the name in the catalog# tag next to the album title. Is there a way to do this for all the albums using expression language?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym654m1m5ph2d64/Screen%20Shot%202014-07-11%20at%208.19.21%20AM.png

What name are you looking to put it catalog #? If album name, just highlight everything you want to update, then type this in catalog # (or any field)

=[album]

or if you want name in there

=[name]

undo is your friend

However why do this? Maybe your only issue is moving fields around in Jriver to see them better?

Hi ted, thank you.

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. I want to place what is in the catalog# tag field next to the album name (in brackets). The catalog# tag will be left untouched.

I want to do this so I can import all the music into iTunes as well. I have more than one version for a couple of albums.

this expression, in the album field,

=[album] [Catalog #]

will show

Rust In Peace CDP9 1234 k

=[album] /([Catalog #]/)

will show

Rust In Peace (CDP9 1234 k)

Always use "slash parentheses" cuz just parentheses is a special expression language character and will do other things. The slash says to use it as text.

i would probably do files view and make sure catalog # is one of the panes, and sort on it, so you find only those albums that have catalog #'s; otherwise all your albums will have parentheses after them (empty ones if no catalog #)

• 5 weeks later...

I have beta Windows MC20 and both WASAPI and KS are still affected by the Mytek playlist issue (going from DSD to PCM in same playlist). Mytek's ASIO is fine, as reported. My Hugo (KS) is fine, too.

Firedog, I don't have my Mac Mini in the system right now so can't check things like FW. Yes, ASIO works fine. I have not checked different MC versions, just reporting that the Mytek doesn't work in KS/Wasapi on beta MC20.

I use ASIO with my office Mytek, and don;t have mixed format playlists, so I did this simply to confirm for you. It's not an issue with me.

Also i saw a question about library backups but cant find it now. Anyway. Create a new folder somewhere then go to file/library/bak up library and then browse to new folder to save it there. Great for addtl installations

• 2 months later...

Note: I started this thread as a repository for good JRiver tips and techniques that people could share. It was never intended to be a :

* JRiver customer support helpdesk

* Bitch session for JRiver bugs and performance issues

* "How do I do this" thread

There are plenty of those here on CA.

And most importantly, it certainly is not a place for

* Memory playback arguments that fill up 6 pages and goes nowhere except down a rat hole!!!

Chris, please try and remove all the non-essential stuff, especially the sophomoric arguing, name-calling and repetitive reassurations.

Gang, please please take your arguments, theories and philosophies about JRiver's memory playback (which JRIver's own Matt Ashland has had to correct numerous times) to your own thread!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Gang, I am very close to asking Chris to lock this thread. It is now nowhere near my intent. Can we PLEASE PLEASE get back to JRIver tips and techniques, and take your debate/argument about Jplay and JRiver somewhere else. This debate is old and tiresome. My dual pc Jplay setup sees that JRIver warning like once a week, and it takes 4 seconds to bypass it. Get over it and discuss elsewhere!!!

Moreover, if you are not a JRIver user then this thread is not for you. It is entirely intended as a repository of tips and techniques for using JRIver. There are plenty of "is JRIver right for me" or "why is JRIver better than xyz" threads to crap upon.

JPlay makes a scam of a product. If you like it, you're gullible. Sorry.

We're going to keep our warning in the program.

C'mon Matt. I just asked that we keep this on topic, JRIver tips and techniques. I would have thought you would have appreciated that!!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm new to JRiver and am using the Windows version.

I want to know how to import the customized classification fields like grouping and genre into the JRiver library.

These fields are on the actual media files themselves. I'm sure of this as Audirvana 2.0 copies them when creating its library.

Genre and grouping are there; they are standard ID3V2 fields and available for browsing by right clicking any column and scrolling down to them alphabetically and choosing them.

JRiver fields.jpg

• 2 months later...
Is there a way to use wild cards when editing tags? For example, many classical albums will fill in the track names with things like 1. Andante ... for all of the movements of a symphony. If I want to preface each track name with the name of the symphony, is there an easy way to do this without editing each track individually?

Yes. The equals sign acts like Excel.

Go into tag mode (where the tag categories are on the left side)

highlight all the tracks you want to prefix with the same text;

in the Name box (which should say "Varies") type

=Symphony No. 3 - [Name]

Undo (cntrl-Z) is your friend.

What is the sound quality comparison between JRMC20 (on mac) to Audirvana, HQPlayer, and Amarra?

If this has already been discussed I'd appreciate a pointer to that thread(s).

No offense but this is a tips and techniques repository thread. Let's keep "which is better" debates to another thread. There are many. Here is one:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/poll-audirvana-plus-2-0-4-or-jriver-20-mac-22320/

Mine reloads. I assume you mean smartlists like 100 random songs, or not recently played. All I do is clear the playlist and hit 100 random songs again and I get a new playlist.

Ted: I'm registered with a master license. I'm not sure what you mean by "something in one of the submenus".

jriver...any further suggestions?

I bought a master license, installed it on my iMac. I also have a copy running on Windows 7 / Parallels. I do not run them at the same time but do share the same main library. It all works fine except for this popup menu.

I just mean that I would go to each of the submenus in that pulldown (how to, registration, updates, etc) and see if there is something that is set wrong or requires action. Maybe if you just look at "new and improved in this version" it goes away?

Is it possible to add/create a smartlist within a pane? It appears only field names can be used in a pane.

I am using v. 20.0.62 on a Windows 7 machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. Create a view, like empty (audio, right click, create a view, pick empty), then set it as panes, then pick smartlist as your first pane (and add others, of course)

smartlist panes.jpg

Jim,

I would post that on JRiver interact. It would take too long here for you to educate me (maybe not others), describe and define siblings, ancestors, give examples, etc. A screenshot would help, but I'm sure the JRIver guys will know what you mean easier.