IGNORED

Best signal chain for portable

I am wondering what the best signal chain is for portable devices. Apple seems to have their 30 pin connector which will take the digital signal and then you can run it through a quality DAC and then to your HiFi.

What options are available for my Android based phone which has a mini jack and a sync/charge jack?

My Droid III has a DAC that is at least 24/96 which easily trumps any apple music product. The sync/charge jack on my phone is also a data cable letting me connect to my PC. I do not believe it allows a bit perfect stream out but it might. All that said, my phone is 2 years old. Today's android machines do far more. For all I know the new devices might let one go bit perfect to an outboard DAC.

I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you any understanding – Samuel Johnson

I believe that while the sync connection allows for data transfer, you can't play music through it. I asked the guys at Verizon and they said the only way to play music is through bluetooth. While at the store I did see that the new Samsung tablet has a dock connector on its side which allows to sync to a keyboard and BT devices. It also has a connection that will allow you to transfer data to a micro card or also has a USB out. No one there could tell me if you can stream music out through the USB.

Anybody care to think through this one and report back?

About 2 months ago I bought an iBasso D6 to experiment with. This is a portable DAC/Amp. Using the Camera Connection Kit and the iPad it will send the audio to the DAC. Total night and day difference and I love it. Totally worth the hassle and strange looks on the plane as I cable everything together. This will only work with the iPad; other iDevices do not support the CCK.

Another friend has been experimenting with the Samsung S III and JB which supports digital out to a DAC. The D6 lit up as if it was getting a signal but no audio. His Audio Engine DAC works but its not portable. JB, as it evolves, I suspect will continue to have better digital out support.

My preference of the best sound:

1) Source (iPad) -> USB -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphones

2) Source (iPad or other iDevice) -> Line Out -> Amp -> Headphones

3) Source -> Phone Out (maxish volume) -> Amp -> Headphones

4) Source -> Phone Out -> Headphones

Edit: To clarify, JB or Android Jelly Bean, is the first version to support digital out so that's your first requirement. Then support will be spotty since its the first time Android has supported this. Only way to know is to plug it in and see what happens with your particular DAC.

• 2 weeks later...
About 2 months ago I bought an iBasso D6 to experiment with. This is a portable DAC/Amp. Using the Camera Connection Kit and the iPad it will send the audio to the DAC. Total night and day difference and I love it. Totally worth the hassle and strange looks on the plane as I cable everything together. This will only work with the iPad; other iDevices do not support the CCK.

Another friend has been experimenting with the Samsung S III and JB which supports digital out to a DAC. The D6 lit up as if it was getting a signal but no audio. His Audio Engine DAC works but its not portable. JB, as it evolves, I suspect will continue to have better digital out support.

My preference of the best sound:

1) Source (iPad) -> USB -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphones

2) Source (iPad or other iDevice) -> Line Out -> Amp -> Headphones

3) Source -> Phone Out (maxish volume) -> Amp -> Headphones

4) Source -> Phone Out -> Headphones

Edit: To clarify, JB or Android Jelly Bean, is the first version to support digital out so that's your first requirement. Then support will be spotty since its the first time Android has supported this. Only way to know is to plug it in and see what happens with your particular DAC.

So I too have Samsung S III... This may sound stupid but what type of plug do I use to go into my DAC?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.