IGNORED

Where do I go from here ....

greg631

Have long thought that mp3's ... were inferior to a CD. Happy to have found this forum of like minded people. ;)

I have an Xonar Essence STX sounds card. It has SPIDIF (coax and optical), as well as analog out and a headphone amp. Based on what I read when I purchased it, and what I've read here recently, I believe the sound card is still ok for the system.

From the sound card I have an optical SPIDIF cable that runs to the Onkyo NR-905 receiver in the living room.

Connected to the receiver is a 5.1 Definitive Technologies Mythos (1,2,3) setup.

For now, I am happy with the LR setup. It is a movie/music location. Any suggestions/tips on how to improve it would be welcome. But I am more interested in working on my office. I'd like better equip in the office, since I do a lot of listening there. I have a pair of Creative GigaWorks T40 powered speakers. I know the first thing to change is the speakers, and I am now using a pair of Def Tech DI8 in ceiling speakers that are also for whole house audio.

Obviously, BIG improvement. : )

Next step is to add a sub to bring it to 2.1.

Any suggestions on an amp?

Would dedicated speakers be a better option?

Would a stand alone DAC in addition to the Xonar be of any use for either or both locations?

If yes, which ones should I be looking at?

Not looking to spend $$$$$$ just 'enough' to get good sound for decent price....Say under $1K...

THANKS!!

Greg

Greg,

I thought I would share my experience. I have a system at my office that I listen to as often as I can get away with. I ended up buying used equipment and have a great system for around a thousand dollars. The amp is an Adcom, speakers are Klipsch floorstanders. Musical Fidelity Dac, old Marantz as the preamp and Essense Stx in last generations computer. I ended up upgrading wires and cables, so that sent costs over the 1K limit, but the equipment itself was around a grand. It doesn't quite meet the standards of the home system, but it's not supposed to. Critical listening and productive work are conflicting ventures unless you're in a business that requires critical listening. Alas, that doesn't apply to me.