IGNORED

High Def Video BIG success.......HiRes Audio Not so much...How come?

mayhem13

I was reading the beginning of this thread trying to come up with an answer using my experience with Hi Def video and Hi res audio. I love Hi def video. I was an early adopter when almost no broadcasts were hi def. But basically, to get hi def video, I bought a TV and the cable box supplied the occasional hi def signal. Basically the same today, except I have a bluray added to the mix. The point is, it was plug and play. Hi res audio is a very different animal as far as ease of use. I have spent a lot of time and money configuring different programs, windows and sound cards. I am now at my desk listening to a 96/24 recording of Stan Getz. Sounds wonderful, much better than CD in my opinion. But there was a much higher cost in time and research. Thankfully, I didn't have to figure that much out. I had Chris for that.

PONO! More hardware to listen to the same stuff I already have...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Why do you put audiophiles in quotes?

Because I can't stand the label and what it's become. I much prefer audio enthusiast or hobbyist and take every opportunity to seperate myself from this label.

My opinion, subjectively speaking and in accordance with recent forum guidelines amended, non debatable.

I was reading the beginning of this thread trying to come up with an answer using my experience with Hi Def video and Hi res audio. I love Hi def video. I was an early adopter when almost no broadcasts were hi def. But basically, to get hi def video, I bought a TV and the cable box supplied the occasional hi def signal. Basically the same today, except I have a bluray added to the mix. The point is, it was plug and play. Hi res audio is a very different animal as far as ease of use. I have spent a lot of time and money configuring different programs, windows and sound cards. I am now at my desk listening to a 96/24 recording of Stan Getz. Sounds wonderful, much better than CD in my opinion. But there was a much higher cost in time and research. Thankfully, I didn't have to figure that much out. I had Chris for that.

Good point John. Hi Def video is much more Homogenous than Hi Res audio. One interconnect, essentially one media standard, etc.....and all in my opinion developed around copywright protection.

But SACD was homogenous and simple too. When I examine this point in comparison, they only failure I see was the recording industries failure to embrace the format and make all material available on SACD as well as CD, like the film industry does. Heck, of you think about it, had the recording industry done this and turned CD into a Legacy format, maybe the whole Napster bombshell would have fizzled. Too late now I guess.....or is it?

Considering the high ownership Numbers of Blue Ray Players and their ability to play Hi Res music, maybe it's time the recording industry tried to get on board with BD Audio? They could appeal to music lovers and protect the financial interests of themselves and the artists ( who as of late are taking a financial beating) in one shot.

I'd buy music on BD discs if it was mastered at the higher resolution. As done with BD Video, a digital copy could be offered that would only allow the purchaser to copy the content one time to his or her Computer.

Truthfully, it would be a huge undertaking, but what's the risk. Are people going to stop buying new copywrighted music? Another topic for another thread. Hmmmmmmm