IGNORED

Why does some music sound 3d in headphones?

and I don't only mean between the left and right channels. Right now I am listening to 'Your mind and we belong together' by Forever and in one channel it sounds so 3d, so much space between the instruments and detail. Just wonderful. Why is this?

Benchmark HGC DAC2 / Ncore NC400 / Anthony Gallo Strada 2 / Anthony Gallo TR-3D Sub / Van Damme 6mm Speaker Cable

A simple reason for this occurrence is the knowledge of the sound engineering/production team. If these people are mentioned somewhere on the albums credits there is at least a chance that production crew for the recording may have used recording techniques they've learned from previous recording sessions.

There is a reason that some of us become "Recording Label" conscious & loyal to certain labels as many labels try to repeat their "house sound" on successive recordings .

Perhaps those your listening to were recorded binural format, which uses microphones placed about the average ear distance apart from each other. Those recordings sound fantastic playing through headphones.

and I don't only mean between the left and right channels. Right now I am listening to 'Your mind and we belong together' by Forever and in one channel it sounds so 3d, so much space between the instruments and detail. Just wonderful. Why is this?

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Here is some more info about binural:

Hdtracks & Chesky Records Are Pleased To Introduce new Binaural+ Series

posted by HDtracks

Date: May 25, 2012

Chesky Records would like to introduce its new Binaural+ Series. Binaural sound has been around for a long time, but until now it was just for headphones and could not be enjoyed on speakers. Our Binaural+ Series recordings sound great on headphones and speakers, and capture the sound of music as if you were sitting in front of the band. The Binaural+ Series sessions were recorded in high-resolution 192-kHz/24-bit sound with a special Binaural head (a "dummy" human head with specially calibrated microphones where the ears would be).

The headphone market is booming and we think it is important to bring the ultimate in high-resolution sound to this sector of the record business. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky Recordings. Also these new Binaural+ Series albums capture even more spatial realism for the home audiophile market, bringing you one step closer to the actual event.

Upcoming 2012 Binaural+ Releases are:

Explorations in Space and Time - Lenny White, Jamey Haddad and Mark Sherman Wycliffe

Gordon's New Orleans Project - Wycliffe Gordon and band

Dr Chesky's Amazing Binaural Sound Show – Various

Forthcoming Album from sensational new folk singer Amber Rubarth with accompaniment from David Eggar

There is a youtube video regarding the specific binaural recording mentioned by babybear, I have the recording and it's amazing, well worth getting if your into headphones. I think it makes for a great reference recording too when comparing equipment.

- No Disc

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+