IGNORED

Thunder, Lightning and your audio system

Good to get so much real life feedback regarding surge protection devices. I've always only used a basic power strip (no lights, switches, surge, etc.), with the belief that surge protection devices were not necessary, but I was never completely sure of it. Now I feel confident recommending to friends that they forgo surge protection. However, is there any credibility to the idea that surge protection can help to extend the life of a components power supply by absorbing small, everyday surges and spikes. My guess is no.

Note, that some people report that MOVs are not good for sonics...

I forgot to mention that. It's the main reason I don't use surge protection. Specifically, that they negatively affect dynamics.

I've always assumed that everyday over-voltages are not really a concern in higher end components with their robust power supplies. Yes/No? I wonder about my Panasonic plasma, however. Do you think the everyday over-voltages will shorten the life of my plasma (or Mac computers)? I have a Panasonic plasma+2 channel setup all plugged into the same Cable Pro power strip. Any benefit in using a surge protector with just the plasma and/or Mac, or just leave it the way it is? I've considered a dedicated line. That would eliminate all concern? Thanks barrows!

Luckily, I'm not in an area with frequent outages. I was referring to the small surges/spikes from appliances (fridge, heat, A/C) cycling on/off and how much that might affect A/V components (maybe I shouldn't have said over-voltages). Either way, I suppose I will continue to take my chances and just hope my plasma lasts the projected 10+ years that they claim.

Any knowledge on dedicated lines? Would that eliminate nearly all negative interaction with appliances, if any?