IGNORED

Pc setup, alternative to ground loop isolator?

Hi everybody :)

Before I go on and tell you the issue i'm facing, let me share my config first so you may know where i'm going wrong. I'll highlight the components i'm using in Bold.

I've a pc with a Titanium HD soundcard, which is outputting via stereo out (red/white phono out), using a phono out to 3.5mm input cable > Fiio E9, which is then outputting via Phono > Ground loop isolator > to both my Left and Right active monitor speakers, which are Yamaha Hs80m's.

Without the ground loop isolator, there's interference spreading from my pc to the speakers, i've tried a different wall outlet to no avail, and my psu is a branded type, and cost over $150.

I'm trying to eliminate the ground loop isolator from my setup as without it the sound is slightly more sharper and cleaner.

Thanks.

Without the ground loop isolator, there's interference spreading from my pc to the speakers

60/120 Hz hum, or something higher in frequency?

The first thing I would try is switching to balanced inputs on the HS80's. That is usually enough to deal with most ground loop issues.

Is there a special reason you want to have the Fiio in the path? Just to get volume control?

60/120 Hz hum, or something higher in frequency?

The first thing I would try is switching to balanced inputs on the HS80's. That is usually enough to deal with most ground loop issues.

Is there a special reason you want to have the Fiio in the path? Just to get volume control?

Hi Julf,

Its certainly higher frequencies, like squeels, static and sine waves (moving the mouse drives these frequencies higher). I've tried without the Fiio E9 in the path and the interference is still present.

Reason why i'm using the Fiio E9 is to split my Senn 650 headphones from my speakers, I can just plug the headphones into the Fio E9, which is at arms reach and it cancels out the sound from the speakers. I don't know if you're aware that the Titanium Hd cannot output via the headphone socket and the phono out at the same time, so you have to unplug the headphones from the Titanium Hd each time you need to listen via the speakers, its an annoyance which Creative have yet to fix.

How would I go about connecting balanced inputs to the Hs80's? Both the Titanium Hd and the Fiio E9 have Phono outputs only and the speakers don't support phono natively, so there's a cross connection.

I am assuming you are using a pair of phono-to-jack cables? You would have to switch to phono-to-XLR cables instead. Worth trying if you can borrow a pair of cables,

What happens if you plug in the Fiio E9 using USB and use it as a DAC? Still the same problems?

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

I am assuming you are using a pair of phono-to-jack cables? You would have to switch to phono-to-XLR cables instead. Worth trying if you can borrow a pair of cables,

Phono cable to 1/4 adapter at the end so it fits into the Yamaha Hs80. Would using a Phono - Xlr be balanced?

Thanks

What happens if you plug in the Fiio E9 using USB and use it as a DAC? Still the same problems?

Would that degrade the sound quality in any way? I've heard the Usb is only for when you use the Fiio E7 on top of the E9? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try. Cheers.