IGNORED

How to keep AIFF and MP3 in same Itunes library.

Thunktank

How to keep AIFF and MP3 in same Itunes library.

I recently aquired an Ipod Touch and set about converting all of my AIFF files to VBR MP3’s. At home I use a MacBook for playback, I would like to sync the Touch to the MacBook but am concerned about having the MP3’s and AIFF’s in the same library, I do not want the Touch to Sync any AIFF files but more importantly I do not want to inadvertently play back MP3’s through my home system.

I have tried starting Itunes using the option key, and then starting a new library. I used the new library to store the MP3 files, I also changed settings to import future files as MP3. Which all worked fine but when I switched back to my AIFF library Itunes had retained the setting changes I had made for the MP3 library. While this method would keep my MP3 and AIFF files apart it is less than ideal as I would have to remember to keep changing other itunes settings every time I switched libraries..

I have considered keeping all files in the same library and using smart playlists to keep AIFF and MP3 apart, I know I could sync to the playlist containing MP3 files but can I uncheck some of the MP3 files within the playlist not to sync, as I have more files than will fit on my Ipod? If I created a second smart playlist for the AIFF files can I search within the playlist and perform other functions such as genius just for that playlist, thus avoiding any MP3’s being played on my main system.

I could keep two totally separate user accounts on the MacBook one for syncing and the existing one for everything else.

I am sure someone here has had similar issues to address so I would appreciate some advice as it may save me if not blood then possibly sweat and tears.

Thanks

Are all audiophiles obsessive compulsives or is this just a Stereo Type? Yorkshire UK

A lot of players offers transcoding. You select songs to transfer to your portable and the conversion to another format is done on the fly.

Probably a better way than maintaining a double collection.

As I don't use Mac, I can't tell you if this is supported by iTunes

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I like the Idea of "transcoding", but I also like the idea of having to use only one piece of software and as far as i know Itunes will not do this. I am sure I can get waht I require from Itunes, it will just take time experimenting or some help from those that have alraedy trodden this path.

Paul

Are all audiophiles obsessive compulsives or is this just a Stereo Type? Yorkshire UK

There's an excellent piece of shareware called 'Libra' that lets you easily switch between libraries.

It's much easier than the built in 'option key' method.

However, I don't believe it solves the settings issue.

Scott A.

Watertown NY

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

You can use Smart Playlists to specify bitrates (and codecs if I recall correctly). So create smart playlists for the PC which specify bitrates > than say 900Kbps (all my ALAC seems to be just over 1000, but 900 is probably safer. uncompressed redbook is 1411). Then create MP3 smart playlists that include bit rates of 320 or less. A minor caveat is that you then MUST use smart playlists to play and transfer music. This isn't so bad as it's really worth learning how to use smart playlists.

Not sure if you can combine the Genius feature with the above, that might be the only significant caveat off the top of my head....

mpdPup maintainer

One bit I forgot to mention - you would also do your ipod syncing via smart playlists. In the touch settings you can specify specific playlists to sync from.

Here's a post on how to combine Genius with Smart Playlists:

http://www.alternapop.com/2008/09/11/itunes-8-using-the-genius-playlist-option-to-do-what-you-want/

It's not perfect because I think Genius would have a 50/50 chance of picking an MP3 vs. uncompressed, so you'll basically be filtering out half the genius selection with this trick.

mpdPup maintainer

That's way too high a threshhold. Modern (dynamic range) compressed cds are that high (1000), but older, less compressed cds are in the 8 and 900s, pre war-stuff is more like 4-600 (if transferred, for whatever reason) in stereo, and half that if in true mono (which the recordings of course were).

However the smart playlist thing is a good idea.

So Playlists it is, I will have no poblem isolating the two file types as all of my AIFF files are at 1411kbs. My only concern is going to be how remote on the Touch copes with searching within a playlist, that is when I get "Remote" to work reliably, but that's best reserved for another post. Thanks for the help I will post back to let you know how it goes, perhaps this will be of help to others.

Paul

• 2 months later...

I eventually got round to including my MP3 files in the same library as my AIFF files, which means I have everything twice. This is not a problem as I can use smart play lists to separate the file types, and search within the AIFF only play list when controlling itunes directly from the MacBook. However if I use "remote" on my ipod touch I can choose to play the AIFF play list but I can not select a particular artist or album from within the playlist. So it would appear that having my AIFF files and MP3 in the same library is not the solution.

I seem to be running out of options, I could use itunes on my PC just to sync MP3's to my Ipod but I do not like quicktime as it screws up loads of browser settings.

Surely other people have hires files for home playback, lowres for portable and a need to control home playback from an Ipod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting to the point of pulling my hair out, not good as I am at an age where it is falling out of it's own accord.

Thanks

Paul