IGNORED

Pro-ject Box Range?are there similar products (size & quality wise?)

Hello fellow members;

this is a short add on to my my post elsewhere on the forum.

I have decided to go the Passive route...this time around?

I was quite intersted in the Pro-ject Box range of components...which would ultimately be the power source for my Small stand speakers (yet to be chosen also?) the reason is size I thought it would be good in such a small room as mine, to keep things minimalist and small...

also I do not know if a pre/power amp route is the way to go for my 32 bit laptop route even with V-dac?

should I just go for a budget amp(integrated) fed by the V-dac and maybe the V-PSU and I am not sure if the V-Link is appropriate either..so any help advice very much appreciated.

many thanks

reagrds Steve

Hi,

I have some experience with Project Box products. I have owned their DAC Box USB, an analogue tuner plus a couple of phono ones.

My view is that they are well made and good value for money, though in each case it was possible to get noticably better sonics in the next price class. The DAC I owned was not reliable, however, and had to be replaced twice. It also had to be used in a very specifc way in order to avoid losing the USB connnection to the host machine - a problem I never encountered with other USB DACs.

I would not buy their products again, despite the good quality construction and keen pricing. My sonic tastes have moved beyond the sort of quality the company tends to aim at and the experience with the DAC was an unpleasant one.

Hi JonP

I really do appreciate your reply and very interesting description of your experiences with the Pro-Ject gear.

I was only looking as it looked compact,not a good reason to buy Good audio gear and to be honest..I have being putting to much emphasis on space saving because of my intended dual usage of room which as I said is small. 3mtrs x 2mtrs.

at one end will hopefully be a latin percussion set up Congas+Timbales + associated smaller items,all recorded on the Zoom q3 so I can watch my progress as well as hear it..which having the passive set up audio will be a bonus for that also ,and in middle to other end my audio set up all fed from laptop via V-dac e.t.c. as briefly outlined above...I like the idea of the Q3 as I am planning (fingers crossed) to take intensive pro latin perc lessons in USA or Europe so Q3 could be very useful..I also intend to do internet lessons and use skype e.t.c.

so really |Pro-ject are out of the running you have just made things a bit clearer.....which I appreciate

I got my fingers burnt by taking a lot of salespitch and buying some very expensive gear..which proved useless with my laptop and I lost out badly when I came to sell it all...long story.but paying $350 for a usb cable for example and I purchased the HRT Musicstreamer (top model)$$$$,Valve head amp.....top beyer dynamic phones, more custom cables all from USA.cost me a fortune in shipping and import taxes..I was a real idiot..

So now I am taking my time and thinking about everything..and with your help and others on these boards I hope not to make the same silly mistakes again..can not afford to anyway.

Hope I hear from you further if you can spare the time

best wishes Steve