IGNORED

XLD question

In the program XLD when a flac folder is "verified" does this mean that it's a real rip from a CD as oppose to an mp3 that was just converted to flac (thus making the quality shit). I know the "verified" means that it's in some database of rips, but does this database make sure it's ripped off a real CD.

Thanks

I don't believe XLD uploads it's checksums to AccurateRip at all, and I also believe that it's the only app which will verify a folder of files, unless EAC or Dbpoweramp added this in the past year or two. Last time I used Dbpoweramp it only added checksums for CDs it actually ripped, according to EAC's documentation it behaves similarly to Dbpoweramp.

That means you can have a fair level of trust that the track checksums should be legit, as they can only have been generated by ripping an actual CD. The system can still potentially be corrupted - mp3 based tracks could get in the database if someone converted mp3s to wav/flac, burned that to an actual disc, and then used dbpoweramp/EAC to extract that disc and submit the results to AccurateRip. They would then have to go the next step of widely distributing those specific flac files across the 'net. That's probably happened occasionally, but the odds of a case like that matching the files you're verifying are pretty low.

mpdPup maintainer