IGNORED

Swan M200MkII, Audioengine A5s, or passive speakers?

I'm trying to figure out which speakers to get. I'm planning on plugging them into an HRT Music Streamer II.

Right now I'm looking at the Swan M200MkII and the Audioengine a5s, but I wonder if I might be better off with a passive speaker and a receiver for about the same price.

You can buy the Swans for $240 if you get them open box. The A5 is $300 and is the absolute most I'd want to spend. Are there any preferable speakers + receivers I can get that won't break that budget?

I like an even sound. I'm not a bass nut.

Finally, if I got a receiver with SPDIF in or HDMI in and used that to connect to my motherboard, would that negate the need for me to get the HRT?

As to the last question, there is no need to buy the HRT if you get a receiver with digital inputs (assuming your PC can connect to the inputs). Using an AV receiver or a stereo receiver with digital inputs is a good way to go but tough to do in your budget. Powered speakers are probably a better way to stay within your budget unless you go with used speakers and a receiver.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)