IGNORED

new Dynaudio powered desktop monitor - very interesting

http://dynaudioprofessional.com/bm-series/monitors/dbm50/

The 7.5" woofer is a bit larger than the woofer in some active monitors. Rear ported.

The wired remote volume control looks interesting. It controls both speakers in a stereo setup. I noted a connector for the remote on the back of the speaker so I expect that the audio signal does not flow through the remote control.

I'm not sure that the angled face will suit my needs but it might.

Price in Great Britain (inc. vat) translated to ~ $ 650 / speaker in dollars.

---

The (TC Electronics) BMC-2 monitor controller (DAC) is mentioned at the bottom of the web page. I use one now on my desktop with inputs from 2 PCs.

Bill

Dynaudio monitors will be on my list along with Focal, Neumann and Emotiva Pro when I upgrade my home office monitors.

> How do you like the BMC-2?

I like it very well. It sounds good in my home office application. The coax and toslink inputs are essential for my use, the volume control is sometimes useful and the VU meters are very handy to observe clipping on dynamically compressed music.

MusicPC -> Juli@ card -> coax SPDIF -> BMC-2 -> Audioengine A5s

PersonalPC -> onboard sound -> Toslink->

The onboard sound is via a realtek ALC892 chip on an Intel Sandy Bridge motherboard. The result through the BMC-2 is quite good for general use. The Juli@ card has been great for years in every way I've used it.

I think I got the last BMC-2 sold in the US for ~ $ 300 before the street price went to $ 500 or more. The retailer (Florida Music Company was still advertising it at about $ 300. They managed to get the US distributor to sell one to them at the old wholesale price. They went the extra mile.)

For $ 280 (I had a coupon), the BMC-2 seemed a great bargain. I didn't fret much over the lack of a USB input. At about $ 500, there are lots more options.

I use an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC in my main system where a remote with volume control is important. I use a Toslink connection because electrical isolation from the MusicPC is important in that application. (The XDA-1 is another $ 300 bargain.) I'd guess that the differences in sound between that DAC and the BMC-2 are more related to the analog stage after the DAC chip. Both DACs sound fine to me if not exactly the same.

Bill