IGNORED

Streaming directly from NAS

Harry,

I use a Squeezebox Touch between my NAS (DS712+) and my DAC. It works well and sounds great.

The DSM for my Synology comes with a Logitech Media Server option in the Package Center, so you can install it and run it on the NAS. Once you tell the Media Center where your music folder is on your NAS the SBT displays it on its menu.

The SBT also streams internet Radio stations, so an extra benefit for what seems to be a very reasonable price, IMO.

I use the coax digital out option on my SBT to my DAC. This bypasses the not-so-hot internal DAC of the Touch.

The only thing I use my computer for is to rip CDs to my NAS or download hirez music files to it. I have also employed most of the SBT free tweaks for shutting down unecessary services, etc.

Kenny

Harry -

I am new to this forum so am not sure if everyone will see this comment.

I'm also considering the same choices for a NAS solution. I am planning on streaming directly to my Oppo. I am currently using Asset UPnP DLNA server as part of my dbPowerAmp package from an external USB drive connected to my Windows Laptop as a trial platform before purchasing a Synology and copying my music library over. My reply from Oppo about compatibility with NAS was:

"As long as either your NAS or your computer is running a DLNA server for your shared content, then the player will be able to recognize and load your files over the network. The player will not work, however, if the server is SMB or NFS based."

I would like to run the Synology in RAID 0 or 1. Anyone know what size drives I need for a 2 bay server to get a total of 2TB of storage?

Would like to know what you decided and if anyone else has comments before I pull the trigger and buy the Synology.

Thanks,

Bob

"Too Old to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die" J. Tull

"Anyone know what size drives I need for a 2 bay server to get a total of 2TB of storage?"

For RAID 0 (striping) you need 2 drives of 1 TB, because RAID 0 has no redundancy. RAID 1 provides redundancy, so you need 2 2 TB drives.

If you go RAID 0, be aware that *either* of the drives failing will make your NAS fail. So the probability of failure doubles compared to 1 drive. You would actually be better off with just one 2 TB drive, leaving the other bay empty.

Of course, all drives fail eventually...