IGNORED

Distortion - Question

If the music file, say a lossy file that was re-encoded has distortion, is it normal to have distortion even on a descent speaker or speaker + DAC? Is this correct?

I think my setup is *amplifying* the distortion in the music so it gets worse.

Descent audio system can't magically have distortion in the music disappear right?

please comment

The re-encoding certainly can't help the distortion. And you are correct, a decent audio system can't magically make distortion go away.

In my early foray into computer audio, I had an mp3 rip of Led Zeppelin II, and I didn't like the sound. What I learned was that a lossless rip sounded better, but still I wasn't happy with the distortion. An inexpensive DAC helped clear up the muddy parts, but the distortion was still there. Grabbed a Barry Diament mastered version (avoiding the Jimmy Page and George Marino remasters), and the sound was better over all. It was then I realized that of course, distortion won't go away, as that is what they did back then!

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Hey Whatever, I like that username.

The distortion you're hearing probably doesn't have anything to do with your lossy file, unless you've used a low bitrate. Most people can't hear any difference or very little difference between a high bitrate lossy file and a non-lossy file.

The distortions that occur because of encoding (at high bitrates, to say mp3) are subtle. They mostly occur in the after effects of the initial sounds like in the reverb and echo (not as clear or prominent) and in absence rather than overt distortion. You also might hear the slightest veil over everything. When the bitrate gets lower you tend to hear kind of a swooshy almost phasey sound creep in.

This of course is general. BTW, although people can hear lossy vs. lossless (much more so at low bitrates) the people who deal with this sort of thing and develop encoders/decoders haven't been able to come up with a way of measuring the difference (in other words they work by ear); unless a method has been discovered very recently that I don't know of.

-Chris

Thanks Garf on the clarification. Good to know that if the encoded music itself has distortion that it cannot be removed using nicer audio system.

crisnee, most of MP3's I listen are 320 kbps. I don't think bitrates has much to do with the distortion. It's the way the user has re-encoded the music file, like increasing the output of the music or something? They are often louder than the original recording, like from CD's or lossless flac files. It seems the old MP3's I got from the late 1990's sound much relaxed and not loud. I rarely hear distortion in them. But today's MP3's, like foreign songs I have, seem to have lots of distortions. They are also much louder as well. I am an easy listener and keep the volume of the player low, like 20% or less. Equalizer setting is also relaxed, keeping well within spec for my speakers to handle. I still get distortion from the recent music.... the old ones, no. No distortions from CD's either. I think it's some the third party re-encoders are screwing around with the outputs of the music causing distortion.

What do you mean by re-encoders? Like who? You don't mean remasters do you? I've not heard of anyone mention re-encoders. There are definitely problems with remasters and recordings in the last 20? years. Google "Loudness Wars."

Do you mean businesses like Amazon who sell their music in MP3 format. I haven't come across the problem you mention. If it is businesses, who do you buy from? I've bought from Amazon occasionally, and Emusic and I listen to streaming from MOG. I've not once had your kind of problem (other than the lack of dynamic range--loudness wars. MOG and Amazon use 320 kbps, and Emusic variable but high bitrates generally.

-Chris

crisnee, no I'm referring to some individuals that rip CD's or lossless audios to MP3's on their own... The large portion of music I have are mp3's that I download for free, not the ones you pay. We could have an mp3 with outstanding SQ and zero distortion whereas the other one could have full of distortions. The stuff you listen to is probably very different that what I have... About 60% of MP3's (new songs) I downloaded have some level of distortions anywhere from very minor to excessive. The only ones I could not hear distortion are from my own collection of CD's (original recordings) that I purchased at the stores. And some of old MP3's and flac's as well.

Ok, I get it now.

I have seen receivers that have a setting that is supposed to make mp3s sound better. I don't know what they do, or what they sound like, but as Garf said you can't undistort something once it's recorded, although you might be able to mask or soften it somewhat.

-Chris