IGNORED

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 on its way!

I ordered the DAC Magic 100 earlier this week from Audio Advisor and I wasn't expecting to see it for a few weeks. I just got an e-mail today that it shipped already. Hoping to have it this weekend to test out and will provide some feedback.

[br]iMac 27 --> WireWorld Ultraviolet USB 2.0 --> Peachtree Audio DAC iT --> Morrow Audio MA 1.1 --> Rega Brio-R --> Anti-Cables ---> Mini Maggies

• 3 months later...

I just ordered one too. My Audioengine D1 doesn't work with the iPad camera connection kit, so I elected to try this as an inexpensive mains powered alternative. It will be going in my garage wired to my B&K ST140 and Cambridge S30's. I have the FLAC app on the ipad and some HDTracks 24/96 files to play with. Looking forward to it!

Oh joy. Not. It does not work with my 1st gen iPad. Accessory uses too much power and seemingly no way around it. Oh well, back to store Dacmagic....

The DacMagic requires the wallwart PSU to get adequate power and can't be operated solely by the iPad with the CCK if that's what you were attempting. There are limitations on the amount of power the iPad can offer to power a DAC- there's a dedicated thread on Head-Fi chronicling efforts to find DACs that work. Here's a link

If you are looking to feed a digital signal from your iPad into the DacMagic, did you look into the Pure i20 dock? At $100 it is just about the cheapest way to get an unaltered digital signal from an iPad to an external DAC without dealing with the power limitations of the iPad's USB port.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

Dont get me started on the Pure i20. I Ordered one several months ago and got the royal run around. Never again. As far as the Dacmagic is concerned I'm surprised you would suggest that I wouldn't plug it in! Obviously it needs the wall wart, that is why it is shipped with one. I bought the dacmagic based on the fact that it has its own power supply - I already tried my Audioengine D1 (no wallwart) - No such luck!

I think I'm done with this idea now, there has to be a better way. Cheers -

Oh yeah, and I am pretty sure it was head fi that said the DM100 was tested and works with the camera kit. Maybe only in the UK ?

Didn't know about the runaround with the Pure dock, that is unfortunate. Arcam also has their drDock, but it is significantly more expensive and near the price of the CA iD100 dock at ~$300. My apologies for the discussion around the PSU- certain DACs like the Audioengine you mentioned and the W4S uDAC can function via USB power only so was just trying to cover all the bases here...

The iPad does work for 44.1kHz files when connected via the CCK with a powered hub in between as you mentioned according to this discussion.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

I got a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 from Crutchfield a few weeks ago, and I really like it. It is my first outboard DAC, so I can't supply any compare-and-contrast reviews. But I'm delighted with the way it adds sparkle to the sound from my old Yamaha CD changer, which has a Toslink output. I haven't tried the USB converter on the DAC Magic 100, yet, but I hope to get that connected to my Mac Mini this summer. Best wishes.

- dbx

I got a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 from Crutchfield a few weeks ago, and I really like it. It is my first outboard DAC, so I can't supply any compare-and-contrast reviews. But I'm delighted with the way it adds sparkle to the sound from my old Yamaha CD changer, which has a Toslink output. I haven't tried the USB converter on the DAC Magic 100, yet, but I hope to get that connected to my Mac Mini this summer. Best wishes.

One thing I'd advise you to watch out for when using the USB converter is the USB "mode" on the DacMagic can limit the max sample rate of your files. By default it comes in USB Audio 1.0 mode which means it can support up to 24 bit/96kHz files. To switch it to the "2.0 mode" to support up to 192kHz files you have to do a few button presses on the DacMagic 100, I found it on page 15 of the user's manual here. A friend I know had a DacMagic Plus and couldn't get it to play his 192kHz files for the longest time until he cracked the manual! Enjoy your DAC