IGNORED

DAC & MP3s

Hi!

I'm an old hand at analog, but a bit of a newb when it comes to digital. What I often do when people are over, (or I'm feeling lazy), is plug my Mac, or iPod, into my preamp and let iTunes do the work. I'm not expecting hi-fi from this arrangement - it just frees me to attend to the grill, or just hang out.

But I thought, what if I added a DAC? The Macbook has an optical out, why not put it to use?

So here's my question:

I understand the benefits of a good DAC to a CD player, but are there any benefits for MP3s?

Most of my files are MP3s of varying bit rate and RIP quality. Should I expect any improvement over the analog output with a DAC?

Music Hall MMF-7, McIntosh MX110, McIntosh MC352, modified ESS Heil AMT 1a speakers, comfy sofa

Depending on the bit rate there will be a quality improvement playing MP3 with a DAC vs analogue direct, however I wouldn't spend an excessive amount... Re-ripping to a lossless format would give you a bigger improvement (though probably not noticeable unless you also get a DAC).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the response, Eloise!

No, I'm not gonna spend much. I was looking at the Entech Number Crunchers. Just wondering if it was worth spending anything.

I wasn't really sure how the Mac/iTunes handled MP3s in relation to the optical out.

Music Hall MMF-7, McIntosh MX110, McIntosh MC352, modified ESS Heil AMT 1a speakers, comfy sofa

Emotiva is blowing out the xda-1 for $250; that's a pretty useful piece of gear if you want to add a dac to your system: http://www.emotiva.com/xda1.shtm

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)