IGNORED

How many are still using their PonoPlayer?

Just wondering how many are using the players. I have the original KS yellow and 3 black from Fry's Electronics (RIP). They all work fine. The yellow has the internal memory full and the 64gb card. I never change the songs in either location on this on player. The black models just have big memory cards and the internal memory stays empty, except for the Ayre/Cardas sweep tones. Memory cards are never loaded via PonoPlayer. The memo card is inserted directly into the computer and music is copy/pasted. All the batteries are fine. 

How is everyone's player doing. 

Thanks,

Doug A

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Doctorsteve said:

(Raises hand...) Hey Doug

Primarily using Black 1, with Blond 1 available as well. Black 2, Blond 2, and Clear 1&2 in storage. Should last me lifetime ;-D

Wow, six should do for a while. Good to see you here. I'm mostly using the #4 black one. It has the most songs loaded onto a 400gb card. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello @pinecone, welcome to the group. The booting problem is interesting. A few things to consider:

1. Don't put any files on the built in memory. If something glitches, there may not be a way to remove the problem. Cards are so big now, 64gb is meaningless. 

2. Be careful of the card brand and quality. SanDisk was a design partner with Pono. I have no boot problems running a 400gb SanDisk. There are other good brands including Sony, Toshiba, Transcend, and others. Make sure it is a fast card. Also be very careful where you buy the card - there are lots of counterfeits. I'd try another card.

Gooduck

@Séamus MC Donnell wow, just got the notification of your post. Talk about time lag...yikes.

I've never been inside a PonoPlayer, but suspect you are correct about the cause of the problem. Guessing the connectors are soldered directly to the circuit board. That shouldn't be too difficult for a repair tech. Many people could probably handle it DIY. Good luck.

Thanks,

Doug A

7 hours ago, pinecone said:

@LDF @Doug A

Guys, this effort has been highly successful.  With the card that LDF recommended and removing the data from the internal memory that Doug recommended, my Pono is functioning like new.   It's not super speedy when it reboots ~30 seconds but at least it boots and this is acceptable.

I'm really glad because I still love this device, it sounds fantastic, and I have invested significantly in it by buying the balanced cables etc for my HD600s.  With 512GB I should be good to go for the foreseeable future.  Thanks!!!

Glad it worked out. Still a great sounding player. Listening to the Codex as I post this. Just added a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp to the system - amazing. Eagles - Hotel California Live is stellar in 24/192. Highly recommended. Listen on.

• 3 months later...

@Karrma good to hear from you and glad you've found us. Don't recall hearing of a PonoPlayer that had to be booted without mSD card. When it is started this way does it read the library a second after adding mSD card? At least this method still allows the player to work. 

My Pono still work. I recently took steps to prolong the micro USB connector on the Pono. Now use an external battery tank with very short USB cable. Never unhook the cable from the Pono. When it is time to charge the big battery, I unhook the cable from it, leaving the short USB plugged into the Pono. No wear and tear on the Pono USB connector. We can replace Pono batteries, but a circuit board mounted USB receptacle is probably beyond our abilities.

Welcome back,

Doug A

• 6 months later...

@KevinC I've never made a computer playlist and transfered it to the Pono. I rarely do playlists, so I just make them using the PonoPlayer. You may already know this. 1. Load all the songs you want the the memory card. 2. Press and hold song, menu pops up. 3. Select Add to Playlist. 4. 2nd menu pops up, select Create New. Keep doing this until you have playlist completed. 

To add songs to an existing playlist, at step 4 (Add to Playlist) select desired playlist. Song order can also be moved up, down, and removed. The one thing you can't do is name playlists. The player automatically numbers them.

Enjoy,

Doug A

• 11 months later...

@Charles C yes it is bad for lithium batteries to sit around empty. Cycling PonoPlayers also helps to reform capacitors. To save the micro USB port I run a small USB cable to a battery power bank, when at home. When it needs charging, I unplug the cord from the bank, leaving the small "tail" hooked to the PonoPlayer. Less wear and tear on the USB port. I see so many ports go bad on phones. 

Thanks,

Doug A

• 3 weeks later...

Great idea pinecone. Definitely provides protection for the USB connector. As a side note your yellow finish seems devoid of the orange discoloration that many develop. My yellow has started to turn orange in spots.

Thanks for sharing,

Doug A