IGNORED

Blu-ray Audio - Curious

blu-ray is a bit of a pain to get going, but once you have the pieces, it goes something like this (note - I use these steps to extract audio from blu-ray videos - I would think a blu-ray audio disk would be similar):

1. use MakeMKV (currently 1.12.2 "beta") to extract the blu-ray to your hardrive (and strip any protection) (I do a flat out extract - but you could use this to make an MKV file with the same audio).  This is freeware, you can buy it or keep downloading the latest license
  2. use AudioMuxer (0.9.6.4) to extract the audio (split in chapters) to flac.  It does allow you to tag, but it is not automated so I skip and use a different program.  If there are multiple audio tracks (e.g. Stereo LPCM, 5.1 LPCM, Stereo DTS, etc.), you can only extract one at a time.  One other thing, you may need a program like VLC to figure out which blu-ray playlist to pick if there are multiple versions titles / versions.
  3. use foobar (or your tagging program of choice) to search for the album, tag and rename/organize the files.  Most of mine have been digital rips of known albums - so I am able to auto tag - ymmv.

Since it's 3+ steps instead of 1 when you rip a CD, it does take a little more effort and more time, but not that big of a deal

3 hours ago, DaQi said:
  • Step 2 - finding the audio tracks is not easy to do. Your idea of using VLC is a good one and I would suggest probably required as the audio tracks and buried and not nicely laid out. As you mention as well you have to do them one at a time so this is a very manual process. 

This is no different if you had multiple CDs in a special box set - e.g one with an original mix, one with a remix or remaster. 

You'd have to rip each disc individually.  I look at that as a benefit to the blu-ray/DVD - it can have a lot more data on it.

4 hours ago, DaQi said:
  • Step 3 - Tagging is not as easy as it sounds here. The autotagger will likely not recognize the album until you have entered a lot of the metadata. You are likely going to have to enter a lot of the information yourself manually. 

It really was pretty easy.  All I did was name the file with artist and album title in step 2.  At the worst, I would only need to fill in one song with artist and album. Then in foobar, then I simply opened the tracks, (while they were all selected) right clicked, select Tagging, then get tags from freedb.  I also saved a move setting in foobar to auto rename and move the file to my library

4 hours ago, DaQi said:

Yes, this is the process that I ended up with approximately when I did it. Took several hours to figure this all out.

As I said in my original comment - not worth it and I feel that I wouldn't want to support this technology that is intentionally designed to make my enjoyment of it difficult. 

I get that - but I don't really control how things are published and if there is something that is put on a bonus blu-ray - and is no where else - then I want to make the best of it.  I also want to give others reading this a different perspective, i.e trying to share with other folks how to do it (saving them time and aggravation of figuring it out) and that from my perspective share that it is pretty manageable with the right tools