IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Your welcome @bit01!

Even if the Supra DAC looks similar to the VDH H-502 they are a bit different.

While Supra DAC have a drain wire and a semi-conductive nylon shield the H-502 has this:

Quote: ”The D – 502 HYBRID is equipped with a centre steel wire to provide extra mechanical reinforcement and strain relief. This coated steel wire, can be soldered and used as an extra ground-lead. The total pulling force handling of just this centre wire is already more than 30 kg.”

This is more or less a ground wire for turntable that doubles as a strain releif. No semi-conductive shield around the cables. 

The wires seems to be shielded though.

What did you do with the center ground cable/strain releif and the shieldings around the wires in your cable?

Well I said similar from an inductance perspective. The SPC wires have a conductive carbon film deposit (hence hybrid) between their outside diameters and the PE insulation plus the overall SPC shield over the two. I removed the steel wire, the shields of the two are joined together at both ends.

4 hours ago, Cornan said:

Wow! @bit01 is a genius!

I could’nt stop myself changing out one of the 75 ohm coax to Supra DAC. Supra DAC for +Ve and 75 ohm coax for -Ve. Here is how I put it together:

77319303-E6B7-4795-94A5-431376145C11.thumb.jpeg.ad649d56aed03d79fab2af6870b099c0.jpeg0BECFAFC-C2D8-4AE4-97B9-D0591B67F068.thumb.jpeg.78b9cdfe2d60a056502c4c9cffff3f84.jpeg7FFEA560-B162-47BF-B94A-FF51A6013C3A.thumb.jpeg.bd86b1263c6570834129c112773c320c.jpeg8E568CE5-3861-4499-88A4-3AD39C05E919.thumb.jpeg.488242a3702e95a2eb1d07319dcfd4d3.jpeg80A17634-B215-4099-AF91-404B314884D1.thumb.jpeg.7975b908a27cd545a3e9ba38b11c6fef.jpeg

To give you some more details I turned the LS-HPULNs around 180 degrees so I could get a shorter cable. I also cutted off the ferrite core to get an idea of its impact.

Sat down and had a listen. Wow, just wow! Instant dynamic improvement. Music glow is back. Shimmering midrange. Crispy treble. Presence and goosebumps! This thing is surely better than just Supra DAC on its own. It have all the advantages of the Supra DAC and 75 ohm coaxial cable put together. Awesome. Simply awesome from the first tune! ??

Glad that works  - you get the prize!

@marce - not sure what you want explained. The source is DC but the load/current is fluctuating? Anyway all this is experimental fun and except for our keen ears and audio systems many of us are not setup for scientific investigations.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:20 PM, Speedskater said:

Well the Copper Clad Steel (CCS) wire is easy. It's a poor choice for anything much below 100MHz.

But then we get to the 'ground plane modulation' part, I too await an explanation.

Well- you want to minimize the voltage drop (IR) in the return wire. In the general case where the supplied component does not have its own ps/regulators,  the 'load' voltage will be directly reduced by the fluctuating IR in the return (and supply) cable-no? 

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

with a typical short cable for DC power , the difference between a copper clad steel RG6 cable and a straight copper RG6 cable will be almost impossible to measure with normal DMMs, and even with quite large fluctuating currents, any effects of the differences between them will be negligible, whether at audio frequencies or even UHF frequencies.

mis-communication perhaps, the original comment regarding the ground plane referred to the thickness of the copper wire not the difference between the conductor materials! 

edit- as for CCS or CCAl - my preference for Cu over those  in audio cables is only from my experience ! Please use whatever you fancy.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:03 AM, AnotherSpin said:

As I am quite happy with Supra DAC double cable connection between PSU and regen I did it permanent. Very short, about 20 cm, soldered to Mean Well PSU directly. Clear improvement of the sound after connection shortened and soldered directly instead of attached to the 1cm piece of previous cable from MW.

IMG_8856.jpg

Hi,

I find that the  screw terminals loosen with time. I do have to re-tighten them from time to time and would not think of shrink wrap over them. Do you have the same experience, if so how do you get around it, holes in shrink, bonded screw to housing, solder?

b.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, fas42 said:

Any connection that relies on tightness of screws to maintain electrical integrity is a major weakness, if you're after optimum audio quality. The metal to metal contact has to be made truly gas tight, either by soldering or using silver type greases - nominal gas tightness is not good enough!

Every system I have ever been involved with has always benefited from taking this seriously ...

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:33 AM, AnotherSpin said:

I find that everything in this life loosen with time... Let it go.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:40 AM, Abtr said:

Did you apply solder to the wire ends? Basically there's nothing wrong with a screw connector, but you should never tin the wire. A tinned wire will slowly give way to the screw's pressure and become loose.

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/29861/tinning-wires-that-will-be-screwed-in-to-a-chocolate-block-terminal-strip

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:35 AM, Abtr said:

Yeah, I "wouldn't" think so too. A bad (loose) connection will introduce resistance and thus lower (DC) voltage or worse, short your DC supply. If you think "that won't make that much of a difference" then by all means go ahead and tin the wires before inserting them in screw connectors. The connections will come loose, guaranteed. One here (@bit01) complained about loose screw connections. Although this individual didn't bother to respond to my query, I'm pretty sure he/she tinned the wires. Anyway, I'm done with this. Too much trolling.  

What did I start here? - It is true that I tin stranded wire as soon as I strip it to prevent corrosion/oxidation- a life time practice. @Abtr is right that this makes a softer screw connection, but in my case it is okay for this purpose as it is not a permanent solution- I use the screw connectors like many people here (I assume) for prototyping! The cable is being handled in and out of tight spaces though (not ideal). As for my permanent cables, I use proper soldered connectors on both ends which is what I would recommend.

My original post on this was in reference to the heat shrink over the screws, and wondering if/why the DIYer (@AnotherSpin) was comfortable with it as a permanent connection..

ATB.

b