IGNORED

SOtM SMs200 Ultra, 4th place in my test. What am I doing wrong?

8 hours ago, Bullitt5094 said:

why build good equipment then ham-string it with a bad PS. Effectively, for the Ultra to work correctly you need to include $500 PS. Or one pretty close to that price by others. So it really costs about $1700.

Yep, you need a good power supply.

I disagree that it actually costs $1700 though, because some people already own linear power supplies that they can use so need to spend nothing. Also, some people go for ones cheaper than $500, some buy the matching sPS-500 (not linear), and some use much, much more expensive linear power supplies. (Of course, then some people also buy seconnd hand too).

It's much better in a lot of respects that you get to choose the power supply you run on it, because people get to use a better power supply on it.

In case you hadn't seen (and for further interest and freaking out), the sPS500 can be used with a Y-lead to power for example the sMS200ultra and a tXUSBultra at the same time. A lead from Ghent Audio will cost $80, whereas the standard SOtM one will be $100, their UPOCC copper version is $300 and their UPOCC silver is $400. Yes, a $400 DC output lead on a $500 power supply.

(If you're not doing a Y-lead and only powering one unit you can use the free lead that comes with the sPS500 or their single UPOCC copper is $100 and UPOCC silver is $150).

The fact is, some boxes can benefit from all sorts of tinkering and with stacks of choices of how to approach getting the best out of it you can get or afford. Some people like this, other people are better off with less "punk" approach and just buy a box they want that is "what you see is what you get" with no opportunities to upgrade and tinker.