IGNORED

Article: Dynamic Range: No Quiet = No Loud

Maybe I'm missing something.

So, if I check the DR database or use the TTD Range Meter on Creedence Clearwater Revival - The Best of Creedence Clearwater Revival (the one with the green cover), I'm getting an average DR of 14. However, something like Billie Joe + Norah - Foreverly scores a DR of 8 with a lot of clipping...or Robert Plant / Alison Krauss - Raising Sand also only scores a DR of 8, again with a bit of clipping. Now, my music is driven by Audirvana into Dynaudio XEO 5 speakers...at best, introductory audiophile grade and perhaps even that's being a little generous. But, to my ears the CCR sounds kinda flat and lifeless whereas Foreverly or Raising Sand has some life, depth and stage presence. I'm not trying to discount this article...far from it and I have many examples where reworked pieces should have probably been left alone if it's not going to be done properly. My point being, I'm not sure I'm convinced that I can look at this database as a be all to end all, see green numbers and be assured that the files are going to sound great. Conversely, perhaps lower scoring numbers won't necessarily sound like crap. As a disclaimer, the XEOs aren't the type of speaker that will get your neighbour across the street come marching over with clenched fists...these were meant for low SPL levels so perhaps I'm not getting the chance to suffer from listening fatigue. Or, perhaps years of rock concerts have taken their toll on my ears...or perhaps I'm simply missing something.

8 hours ago, mitchco said:

"I am not saying that dynamic range is the end all beat all attribute that determines the overall enjoyment of a musical piece, but there is a minimum bar that should be met on any musical piece."

Ah yes, totally missed that...sincerest apologies. I suppose it's not just my ears failing me.

8 hours ago, mitchco said:

there was not much that can be done as the recording is generally bright sounding, with little depth

Too bad...I really like their music.