IGNORED

Oppo Sonica DAC coming Fall 2016

Hi Ric, I'll be getting the Sonica shortly and will be testing HQPlayer @ 512...if you have any tips, please let us know!

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

I'm in my second day of listening to my Sonica and while it's better than the stock 105, I'm not being blown away or having any musical revelations. I've pretty much decided that Roon is just a nice toy but until it can run on less expensive equipment, then it has an overhead cost that is pretty high (I'm one not to want to dedicate a computer for this effort but rather a NAS). I'm going to re-arrange my room in a minute and pull all electrical gear away form my stereo and go strictly wireless as I am getting digital noise in my speakers. IF Sonica can provide a way to stream high bit rates to my system wirelessly then it may prove to be a winner....but it really comes down to the feature over the sound quality, which is a shame. I'd rather have an upgraded AC wireless dongle for my 105 at this point...

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

I'm in my second day of listening to my Sonica and while it's better than the stock 105, I'm not being blown away or having any musical revelations. I've pretty much decided that Roon is just a nice toy but until it can run on less expensive equipment, then it has an overhead cost that is pretty high (I'm one not to want to dedicate a computer for this effort but rather a NAS). I'm going to re-arrange my room in a minute and pull all electrical gear away form my stereo and go strictly wireless as I am getting digital noise in my speakers. IF Sonica can provide a way to stream high bit rates to my system wirelessly then it may prove to be a winner....but it really comes down to the feature over the sound quality, which is a shame. I'd rather have an upgraded AC wireless dongle for my 105 at this point...

I rearranged my living room and cleaned up the corner where I had all the networking gear...room looks much better. A/B between my OPPO 105 via wireless (via DNLA on my Synology) and the OPPO Sonica using the same feed...my ears couldn't hear a significant difference. I am surprised as my OPPO 105 used to have dropouts on hi rez music over wifi so maybe a few upgrades in technology around the house fixed that issue (my new Synology, router firmware, etc.)? The digital noise is gone in the speakers which is a huge plus and my living room is free of geek clutter...so maybe the Sonica was a good buy after all?!?! I'll give it another week or two but I don't think there will be a moment of zen for me to hold on to it long term (unless I opt for some mods).

Maybe a Darbee Edition will better the sound of this DAC!

Funny you say that, I did call OPPO and asked if there were any future upgrades...would they offer an upgrade path. I was very disappointed that the 105 didn't offer an upgrade path to the Darby and didn't want to get burned again. He said there would be not future hardware updates to the Sonica...or at least planned. Let's see how many they get back and maybe there will be a Special Edition model out soon :)

I have to say it grew on me a bit last night, Tidal sounded really good and my own music sounds great too...it is just that the difference isn't exponential. Yup this IS the only device I can find with the set of features I want/need...is there something else that can stream my DLNA wireless and do DSD?

Sorry I sound like a broken record.

The AURALiC Altair has all the same features (less analog input) and has gapless playback but costs $1000 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I'll add this to my list of potential players...thx

I can guess. I have less than 30 SACDs that I acquired back when they were "hot". I've spent a good bit of time playing them in a friend's BDP-105D and always found the sound to be underwhelming. Oppo gear, in my experience is solid and reliable. I have an old DV-980H that has been a rock solid CD transport for years. I hesitate to call Oppo gear "audiophile". But then again, it's not priced that way. The Sonica is a great "digital audio hub", but it's no giant killer.

I have to say that after a few days and listening to many different sources, my DSD files ripped form SACD on my Oppo 105 sound better on the Sonica. Way more relaxed and added detail...not going to try and tell anyone that it is massively better but to my ears it makes my DSD files listenable especially with recordings I found to be forward and poorly recorded. For example, all my Rolling Stones DSDs are substantially more enjoyable on the Sonica, on the Oppo they were edgy and bright to a level that I could not enjoy them.

I also wonder how the Oppo DAC sounds with redbook CDs (I have 2,000 of those and a dozen SACDs)...

also Oppo vs. Teac??

I haven't really sat down with my 16 bit FLACs but Tidal sounds really good and I am mostly about the features on the DAC, wireless is a huge selling point for me. Having all my computer gear near my stereo caused unwanted digital noise which is all but gone by moving it all across the room and out of sight. I suppose I am a feature first customer...but it still needs to sound good but I am not expecting and unrealistic result.

So it looks like I may be downgrading my OPPO 105 to a 103D and then using the Sonica as my DAC. Any opinions out there? The newest 205 will not support my Roku stick and will not have any apps. The 205 will have the same DAC and Wireless as the Sonica but I really like the ability to rip SACD....

If I had a 105(D), I don't think I'd dump it. Analog multichannel is important to me, though. Do you really think that, given the uptick in pricing for used 103/5(D)s, you'd be able to come out ahead selling your 105D and buying a 103D?

I have a 105 not a D model...but I am just conjecturing at this point. They are rearranging the Legos in a way that I have to do my research before completely committing to their product. Had they offered an upgrade path from the 105 > 105D then I may not be in the same boat.

Oh and multichannel for me is a non starter...dont need it

• 3 weeks later...
Found a review for the OPPO.

Link:OPPO Digital Sonica DAC Reviewed

greyscale

That review is pretty much spot on but as I do have a 105, I find it superior in sound overall having more depth, detail and less glare. It really shines with DSD and hi Rez material. Lower resolution recordings do not seem to benefit as much IMO but I haven't really scrutinized red book recordings much either.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, DSotM073 said:

FYI, that Oppo released new firmware, as well as an app update yesterday, April 28th. I haven't had a chance to look into the changes yet but here is the fix log from the Oppo site:

Release Notes:

1. Added Sonica app support for source switching on Sonica DAC.
  2. Reduced the low level noise caused by Wi-Fi interference that could be heard when using the balanced output.
  3. Resolved an issue where pause would not work with certain audio formats when using Logitech Music Server.
  4. Resolved an issue where the Stop All function would not stop a Spotify stream to the Sonica.
  5. Resolved an issue where Sonica devices that had been playing a stream from Spotify would be temporarily locked to Spotify.
  6. Resolved an issue where all of the directories on a USB drive would be seen as empty.
  7. Resolved a stuttering issue when playing certain 192/24 FLAC files.
  8. Resolved an issue where tracks would inadvertently be skipped when pressing "seek" multiple times.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up who is still following this device. Mine has had a good break in at this point and I think it's great. That UDP-205 is staring at me on the Oppo site though, haha. I wonder if it has absolutely all of the functionality of Sonica DAC with a universal disc player thrown on top, or if there are subtle differences. Anyone know the answer to that?

Anyway, enjoy the firmware\app update folks!

Awesome!  Wanted to change the source via app...glad they listened.  As for other comments about the device, there are very few DACS that support wifi streaming at 5G. 

1 minute ago, MemoryPlayer said:

I know, I got the same answer from them, but we can use Roon in our Windows PC with Asio driver!

I had my Sonica hooked up to my NAS using Roon via USB.   Had a few hiccups with performance and decided to pass on the technology for now.  My NAS is barely in spec and I had to turn off all the other applications to make sure there wasn't any jitter or drop outs.  As I have said before, Roon is an expensive commitment if you don't want to use a dedicated computer for playback.  OPPO told me over the phone they didn't plan to support it, but maybe they will change their minds if enough folks bug them. But the reality I would face (if it did support Roon) is another investment in a technology upgrade that maybe they are sparing me from paying :) 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, esldude said:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/preview-oppo-sonica-dac-thanks-oppo-for.html

I wonder if the reviews so far were done with the low jitter firmware or not?

What is this firmware you speak of?  For the Sonica?  I did not see any release notes about jitter correction in the newest firmware...maybe I missed it?

6 minutes ago, DSotM073 said:

He is referring to the as yet unreleased beta firmware that archimago mentions in his blog within the link above. 

Ahh Thanks!  I am thinking of reaching out to get my hands on this new firmware...that was a MUST read article too.

6 hours ago, DSotM073 said:

If you get a hold of it, let us know!

Sent you a message...Oppo sent me a link but I am not posting it online.  PM me for details.  You can message Oppo direct too, seems like they don't mind sharing their beta work.

First impressions on beta firmware as mentioned above (33-0505B)

I finally hear some differences in lower bit recordings.  I'll be honest, the Sonica didn't impress me over my 105 in terms of 16 bit recordings.  However, watching TV last night I A/Bed the inputs from my OPPO to the Sonica and there was a noticeable difference.  Playing DSD it more difficult to A/B but tracks I listened to sounded great.  If you are not playing DSD files through your Sonica, then you are missing out...well worth the money to look for a Pioneer or OPPO 103 just for ripping purposes.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:24 AM, Hikmer said:

What is this firmware you speak of?  For the Sonica?  I did not see any release notes about jitter correction in the newest firmware...maybe I missed it?

Reading the comments on this thread suggest Roon Ready may be in the works soon.

Also Please post your subjective and objective findings with the new firmware....really want to know what people think.

1 minute ago, Birddogthecat said:

Yes. Sonica Beta

I mean the comments form this thread http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/preview-oppo-sonica-dac-thanks-oppo-for.html   My quote didn't work the way I expected.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DSotM073 said:

Ok, so the official firmware has been out since the 15th. I have had a few days to sit with it, so I thought I would let everyone know what I thought.

In a word..... Wow.

The official firmware notes describe the change as "Improved the jitter and digital filter performance". I must say the difference is not subtle to my ears. Any harshness in the top end is now gone. The result is a very smooth and balanced presentation. The soundstage seems to have opened up and now allows the listener to follow any instrument in the mix. I have been listening to strictly 16\44 streaming from Tidal and I am thrilled with results. Has anyone else had a chance to give this new firmware a listen? Obviously, I am very happy with it.

Well done, Oppo.

I haven't done a critical listen but there was an improvement to my ears.  Wish they had gapless playback bundled with this...but I'll take a performance update any day of the week!

• 2 months later...

I had my Sonica modded by EVS and it sounds stellar.  Recommended if you want a simple DAC that does hi band wireless.  Much more detail, separation and nearly complete lack of glare and digital edginess.  Haven't enjoyed digital this much in years.  Out of the box, the Sonica is somewhat disappointing.  

9 minutes ago, jdjaye said:

Can you share please the contact info/URL for EVS?

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Oppo_Sonica_DAC_mods.html

There you go....

42 minutes ago, normd said:

I'm sending my SDAC to Ric Monday for his upgrade. 

I'm pretty happy with the results after two weeks.  All digital sources have been much improved.