IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

juanitox,

Don't worry, was already ordered yesterday, just after you left [emoji2]

Best,

Geoff

i knew it was a trap :)

do you have tried to attack directly the Amp module of the Avant-garde with the T+A DSD XLR output ? i used to do that with the berkeley alpha .

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

It looks like the rca outputs from the dac 8 are wired directly to pins 1 and 2 from the balanced outputs. If you use both in parallel the balanced outputs are uneven loaded. This is very likely to be audible.

thanks for the detail , i think it would works fine as the bass module of the avant garde have not a real balanced amplifier as it is transformer coupled ( balanced to unbalanced input)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

To me, DAVE is the best DAC I have ever owned and DAVE is much cheaper than these top model DACs.

Adyc if you are happy with your wife stay with her , and just don't care if others thinks she is so-so :)

Running my T+A dac 8 DSD in Linux (thanks for the code earlier Miska) on a 1080 GTX. Nvidia-smi reports 10% GPU load with an extra 500mbytes of GPU RAM usage with closed-form. Have to admit, quite liking closed-form, despite its flaws. Even more space/accuracy of soundstage placement. All at DSD 512 rates. CPU load is now <16% including RoonServer on Linux.

what will work the best to perform HQP to 16/44PCM to DSD512

a I7 6700K (95W) alone

a I7 6700 (65W) + an additionnal powerful VIDEO card

in the second case i could use a Fanless case PC :)

thanks Edbk ! :)

Running my T+A dac 8 DSD in Linux (thanks for the code earlier Miska)

are we close to a solution to run native DSD with the DSD8 amanero card and linux ?

CPU is needed anyway, so as long as 6700K is enough alone better stick with it... :)

GPU helps adding more processing power for certain tasks. Cheaper and easier than going for dual-socket Xeon E5. It also helps keeping high 4 GHz CPU clock speed of 6700K.

are you talking about the GPU comming with the motherboard or you need an extravideo card to do the task ?

( sorry i'm a oyster with PC rig )

Who are WE?

I am VERY interested in comparisons between good DACs.

Sometimes the defensive stands people take around what they happen to own is amusing to say the least.

I am interested to know what is the best and a discussion thread without any comparisons of the DAC or whatever product that is discussed is about as boring as a HI FI demo without demanding material!

I was hoping posters here had outgrown such fanboyism!

Smallminded and childish defenseive reactions belong elsewhere than here IMO!

usual Troll defense ...

Moreover Rob Watts the Chord DAVE designer has just said that 16/44.1 pcm sounds better than DSD 512 via his DAVE. He reports installing DSD capable drivers a waste of time!

Not yet having heard either the T+A nor DSD 512 , I can still safely say that via PCM DAVE is the best DAC I have heard.

fanboy you say ? sure you are ..

but why loosing your time trolling a sub-level dac thread as you already have the Best Dac you have heard ?

sorry guys , if i'm sometimes a little "soupe au lait" . i need to return to Monaco for a " Large scale classical demo" with the T+ADSD to relax me.. :)

Thx. for clarifying. A solution like Roon/HQP: is there any other one, being the Roon part alone very costly? - sorry for OT but would need an answer.

KOdI is free..

Hifial please can you share your PC config , i'm lost in this area. :)

i hesitate between an fanless hackintosh I7 6700K computer running Roon/HQP and a small windows barbone PC as NAA,

or just a windows PC I7 6700K with a LPS power supply and a dedicated PCI USB card.

ok for the computer side , now what will be the best USB solution to feed the T+A DSD8 ?

1:motherboard USB + regen /DAC

2: dedicated PCI USB CARD( JCAT ,SOTM ;P hang ) /DAC

GPU could help on this, have you considered that option? For example the GTX 1070 coming soon could be an option for that.

so in term of processing power for HQP a I7 6700 ( 65W) + a GTX 1070 could be as powerful as a I7 6700K alone ?

22371220160610155732.jpg

after a fast stop and Go at sound galleries Monaco today the T+A DSD8 is at home running , thank you Geoffrey for the sweat deal !

first plug in with toslink for TV listening , it works fine and the remote control is very functional .

second plug my Microrendu usb in and Roon/tidal HQP in 16/44PCM works fine too but perhaps less " analog" than was my EC design mosaic R2R dac .

than put HQP in DSD with polysinc shrt mp 2s adsm7 128dop and now it is really what i have really wanted , gorgeous !

the only drawback is my mac mini 2010 is "Out of africa" can't open anything more than roon/HQP or the reading stops even with 2s filter mode.

time for another computer and more brainstorming with PC :)

81FE5GJNoJL._SY355_.jpg

listen to 'Chocolate Caramel Angel' , Bootsy is slaping in the living room unbelievable !!

large scale classical music will have to wait ... :)

my Microrendu can just go to DSD128 using Dop , i will sell it soon and build a dedicated PC running for the asio driver needed by the T+A DSD8 ( linear power supply , dedicated USB card and regen to replace the microrendu for DD512) . hope it will worth the cost :)

I am also sure such demanding material as "tha funk capital" really needs more than DSD 128 to sound its best.

DSD 128 is probably only good enough for less demanding material like classical.

Funkadelic-Free-Your-Mind.jpg

free your mind and your Ass will follow :)

I should also say that I'm running Roon and HQplayer from Smartperfect ram disks and related image files that are loaded at boot time.

do you have a link where this kind of " tour de magie " can be learn ? :)

Hi juanitox,

There are no "magic tricks" to learn how to do this. Just install Hqplayer and Roon server into their normal directories. Let Roon build it's database as normal, which can take several hours. Once done, create two image files, I used 400 MB and 2gb for HQplayer and Roon respectively. Then set Softperfect to mount both at boot, with the options to save at shutdown. Next,copy the contents of both install directories into the associated ramdisk. For convenience, I then create a desktop shortcut to ramdisk based executables for each program. Reboot, start each app from the desktop and you are done.

Warning, at shutdown it can take a while for softperfect to copy each ramdisk back to it's disk image.

easy .... :)

with the T+A DSD8 on mac with DSD128 dop i have a click every time i change a song with roon/TIDAL/HQP ( when the DSD signal unlock) do you have the same thing with windows and running native DSD ?

strange , i have the inverse feeling with Roon alone sounding smaller and more compressed . and HQ player DSD128 or even more DSD512 sounding larger , dynamic and much more detailed in the same time.

the only big drawback is the big PC you have to build for running the T+A Asio and to get used with windows 10 ..

you could try DSD128 and DSD256 first and see if your bass dynamic problem is growing or reducing with upsampling rate.

DSD512 is so power hungry that i must put my PC in another AC line because my dedicated isolation transformer can not handle the system and the PC in the same time. ( less dynamic too ).

Will do - I've just had a dedicated power circuit installed - so might be useful!

What filter(s) are you using?

now nothing as i have killed my asus motherboard trying to install a P.PANG tcxo clock ( don't do this if you have bad hands or too big solder iron)

but when it works , polysync shrt mp , ADSM7 , DSD512.