IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

I noticed on the T+A website that Macs are only supported up to DSD 128. Does this mean this DAC is wasted on a Mac? Or can the Mac OS be bypassed in someway by using DSD 512 mode with HQ Player and Roon?

I'm wondering if this limitation can be circumvented by using a Linux-based HQP NAA (e.g., the forthcoming microRendu). I think there's at least a possibility of this, since the DAC works without proprietary drivers with OS X.

A number of DACs can do DSD256 from a Mac, so that part's a bit of a mystery.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried hooking up a T+A DAC 8 DSD to a Sonore Sonicorbiter SE (or microRendu)? I'm very curious about whether this is a workable combination.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

• 2 weeks later...
I hope they try and make a Linux driver; there are lots of linux playback devices around now, and a shame for their owners not to be able to use the DACs.

Could not agree more. If this DAC were Linux compatible and a personal audition were to yield a similar reaction to what @Eurodriver et al. have been describing, this DAC would be just what I've been looking for.

--David

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment playing @DSD512 to the T+A DAC8 DSD from my Linux workstation, using the MacMini as Windows-based NAA…

Any thoughts on the T+A? I'm very curious about how DSD512 and DSD256 compare on that DAC.

--David

Asio...only Windows and in certain cases Linux too.

There's one case I'm aware of where ASIO is supported on OS X, and that is with the exaSound DACs. exaSound has developed its own ASIO driver for OS X. The current-model exaSound DACs all go up to DSD256.

Note that it's very unlikely that the Sonore devices will ever support native DSD on the exaSound DACs, so if you're OS X-based and wanted to use one of the exa DACs with an HQP NAA, you'd have to go with a Windows-based NAA or the exaSound PlayPoint ($2K).

--David

Re. Amanero and its firmware revision, I have just talked to the designer. For the last three weeks he has been flat out working/debugging on his new card.

After me pleading for a new firmware revision (RC3), he told me that he was hoping to work on it by the end of the week. He already knows what the problem is and just has to test it on some Linux machine.

So there is some hope that the first, important step to DSD Native for Amanero on Linux is closer to completion.

Super! Thanks for doing this.

--David

FWIW, my Roon+HQP server (i7-6700, no video card) is at 45% and around 30-50 degrees

poly-sync-mp & ASDM7

That's really encouraging, since that's what's in my iMac. Now all that has to happen ;) is to get the T+A working with the microRendu, and I'll be ready to put the money down.

--David

You mean working in 256 or 512, right? For new readers, it does work with the uRendu (and any other linux box), just DoP to 128. it's a Linux issue, not simply a uRendu one.

Right. Native DSD to 512. There are other reasonable options for 256, so that is not really on my personal critical path.

I get that it's a Linux (+ DAC firmware) issue, but in my specific case, the microRendu is part of the plan; hence my phrasing.

--David

• 2 weeks later...
If that is the case, then a DSD512 capable Lampi should be phenomenal...?

In the context of Linux-based renderers and DSD512, I'm pretty sure the Lampizators have exactly the same driver/firmware issues as the T+A.

Also, I think that, say, a Level 4 DSD-only Lampi with DSD512 and balanced outputs would be noticeably more expensive than the T+A (which isn't to say it wouldn't sound great).

--David

The IFI microiDSD does DSD512.

And I'd expect that if the mythical iDSD Pro ever manifests on the earthly plane, it would be DSD512 capable and have balanced outputs.

--David

No they dont. Lampi has been playing DSD256 via the DSD Komputer with LINUX for months. I know a few people who have this solution. Dac8 DSD stops at DSD128 for Linux at the moment.

I thought the T+A DAC 8 DSD and the Lampizators both used Amanero USB boards. Maybe Lampi developed its own solution that's only available for its own Komputer, kind of like exaSound DACs and the PlayPoint?

--David

Yes, but it may be chipped and not pure 1 bit processing.

I wouldn't be surprised. OTOH, I'd expect the iDSD Pro to be somewhere in the US$1500-2000 range, and not up with the likes of the T+A or higher.

--David

• 2 weeks later...
How much different between the DS junior and his daddy?

Can it beat the others in the same price range?

Great question for another thread.

--David

Should be fine. I see no issues as Amanero supports OSX up to DSD128 via DoP without a driver.

So that's kind of the issue. You can do up through DSD256 via DoP, assuming the playback computer and the DAC are up to it (I think @dmgbat's mini is in the ball park), but you're not going to get to the T+A's maximum of DSD512 via DoP. This is why some of us are hoping that the Linux guys, the Sonore guys, and the T+A guys will do what needs to be done to support DSD512 on the T+A via the microRendu. I continue to be optimistic that this will happen. (Note that this mostly leaves A+ out of the picture, unless and until Damien develops something analogous to Network Audio Daemon/NAA for A+).

--David

• 2 months later...
The Linux support for DSD512 for Amanero based card seems to be taking forever. Jussi was involved at some point but does anyone know what is the current status ? Since I already have the microRendu, this is what is preventing me from getting this DAC.

What exactly do you mean when you say that installing Amanero's firmware on the T+A is "not easy"? Would it void the warranty on the T+A?

--David

Your best bet is to get a Lampi Atlantic DSD only (chipless) that does DSD512 in Linux already according to Lukasz (patch implemented). Price is €3,900...not sure what that is in $. Likely $4,500.

That's more or less a conversion from Euros to US$, rounded up a little. My experience (pricing a DAC out on the Lampi website and then getting a quote from the US distributor using the same specs) is that there's more of a penalty than that to actually take delivery on a Lampi in the US. I'm guessing the US price is ≥US$5K. You'd need to contact the US distributor with your exact specs to get the correct US price.

--David

I am sure the Lampi dacs are great as per the reports of many however, the thing that always keeps me away from them is the constant upgrading, fiddling, etc with his products. I know I have stated this before and hate to be a broken record but even the link that winson provided us for the Atlantic (another version to hit the Lampi lineup) kind of sums up my issue. To me the Lampi lineup seems to be geared for the tinkerer who is looking for constant upgrades, tube rolling, sending back for mods, etc. I really have no patience for that any longer and can't take part in that.

I don't disagree. The "US price penalty" seems a bit extreme, and personally, despite the excellent reputation of these DACs, I'm not really anxious to have a DAC with tubes. The process of deciding which Lampi you want to go for and spec'ing one out is a bit off-putting to me, so I'd imagine it's even more intimidating to a lot of other potential customers.

The T+A would be ideal for my next DAC … if only it were Linux friendly. (Maybe I just need to get over the idea that a microRendu is something I need and start to look at other directions to take.)

--David

The other option is to get something like what I got for my office but a cheaper version of Northwest Falcon TIKI that is small and very quiet (you hear a little fan noise when first starting HQP and silence after) and put a JCAT or SOTM USB card in or just run off the mobo into a regen or intona without any NAA; this option is similar to any CAPS or CAPS variant.

I have the Falcon Tiki bookmarked, and it's possible I'll end up going with some configuration of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention; I haven't yet seen anything that looks like a more cost-effective option for using HQP to upsample to DSD512 (although I find it depressing that I haven't been able to come up with a Mac/Linux-based way to do this).

--David

• 4 weeks later...
Will the T+A DAC8 and the Sound Galleries server be demonstrated at the upcoming RMAF audio show in Denver (Oct 7 - 9) ?

Didn't see it mentioned in the list of exhibitors.

@EuroDriver will know about the SGMS, but Rutherford Audio will be there (Marketplace), and they're the US distributor for T+A, so I'm assuming they'll have a DAC 8 DSD there.

--David

Rutherford had an unattended static demo of the T+A at AXPONA. I'll check to see if they have something more ambitious with the T+A at RMAF.

Well, it'll be really disappointing if they don't have the DAC 8 DSD hooked up, at least to a decent headphone-based system.

--David

It's going to be tight getting the DAC 8 DSD to RMAF. We are currently sold out and are arranging for more to come over. If anyone has connections in customs! I swear they have had it out for us. Everything is delayed 1-2 weeks coming from Europe lately.

I really hope you're able to have one set up there. I'd think there would be a whole lot of interest from RMAF attendees. I'm interested, for sure, and there doesn't seem to be a T+A dealer remotely near the metro DC area. Am I right in thinking that the closest one is in New Jersey?

--David

Thats correct. Gramophone however currently has a DAC 8 DSD that we sent them. A customer in their area was interested and we sent it to Gramophone for a demo. You can give Gramophone a call and set up a demo with them.

The DAC 8 DSD is in their columbia store.

Gramophone | See It. Hear It. Live It.

Ah, that's great! Thank you very much.

—David

Yes, please. I'll PM you.

--David