IGNORED

got windows 10?

I read many reports (on this forum too) that, easily said, 'Win10 sounds better than Win8.1'.

I used highly customized and tweaked Win8.1, as I didn't like many of it's default features.

About half year ago I tried to updade that Win8.1 system to Win10, but I was unsuccessful. Probably some driver incompatibility prevented me to start the upgraded Win10 system normally. I could start it only in Safe Mode. I should add that I tested many DACs in the previous years and therefore I installed many different drivers and also I tested much different SW. I didn't have time to investigate the issue so I used the possibility to revert back to my previous Win8.1 system. I used it until beginning of this year.

I obtained a new 250GB SSD disk so I got the idea to install new Win10 system on it. It went very quickly from an USB stick. I was able to customize my system in the way how looked and how I used my previous Win8.1 within a day-two. So I am using a local account, disabled Microsoft Store, disabled APPS in Start Menu, disabled UAC, disabled check of driver signing (otherwise I couldn't install a driver for my DAC), customized colors using registry tweaks (because Microsoft disabled things which were possible in WinXP) etc. etc. I am a computer guy, so it was probably easier for me than for most of you.

I am now running Win10 without issues. I could still boot my old Win8.1 system, but I don't have that need.

I am using my Win10 system for all I need at home, so it is not a computer dedicated only for audio. People who use dedicated PC for audio only and who are not IT professionals can be naturally more cautious and may use the strategy "do not touch the running system". Especially if that dedicated PC doesn't require internet connection.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500